Encouraging News

Pavan Deep

I thought I’d share this, especially as there are quite a few threads on this forum from people asking about camera recommendations. I have heard from a former student who has just bought an Ikonoskop SP-16 Super 16 camera for less than £1000, the camera came boxed [virtually new] with its Kinoptik 9mm lens, and an Angenieux 17-68mm zoom lens, the lens has its own viewfinder allowing reflex framing and critical focusing and it covers the Super 16 frame at all focal lengths. Both lenses will work with the Black Magic Pocket Cinema digital camera.

I think Super 16 is a good option, which sadly many overlook, I think it is ideal for low to no budget productions as the equipment is cheap and the stock isn't as expensive as it’s made out to be. Super 16 is perfect when someone wants to get more filming experience whether it is shooting music videos, short documentary, or narrative work as it really does allow one to build a unique reel.

Pav

I recently saw a boxed ikonoskop package on Ebay at a very tempting price, but i don't think it was that cheap. I love S16 and want to use it, but have too much invested in S8 at the moment. I kind of agree with Matthew on cameras out there. Most everything that's affordable is a boat anchor of an ARRI SR whatever. It' usually being sold by someone that hasn't used it, can't guarantee anything ect... I think 16mm will hang around for at least as long as 35mm so i hope to get there after S8 runs it's course with me or otherwise.

It's been said many times, it's an odd camera, the positives are that it is very small and light and gives synchronized speeds, but they do tend to be a bit pricey. I agree the non reflex viewfinder is a major issue for me too, loading it is also tricky, but after a bit of practice you get used to it. I have used it for over a year now with the Angenieux 17-68 lens myself [the lens with it's own reflex viewfinder] I have found the lens to be pretty good for Super 16.

Pacv

Edited by Pav Deep