WTB: Harrison Pup Tent (Film Chainging Tent)

Karl Lee

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to purchase a Harrison Pup Tent. I believe there are 3 different sizes of the Harrison film changing tents, but I'd prefer the smallest "Pup" tent, as the footprint of the others is a little large, and the Pup tent should be more than sufficient for my SR3 mags.

Hey Karl,

I have seen them on eBay. If it doesen't leak, then it's useful. New they are a bit expensive, unless you're earning with it. There is a (Korean?) tent about the same size that I saw on eBay that looked really good. Almost bought one. Can't remember the name. I will look.

How is it going assembling all the things you need? I saw your questions about soft carry bags for the camera. Maybe ENG made these usefull? Lots of people years ago never used such. Once the camera was built from the case, shooting run and gun as you put it, there was normally someone to look after it. That may be the DP/operator, if the assistant is carrying the tripod.

When I was young (cue violins) I saw a small Japanese crew shooting doco run n gun style in Cathedral square, Christchurch. The young sound and assistant guys were just pissing around having fun. The cinematographer was working on his own, furiously finding shots, repositioning, the SR on sticks with no spreader, dropped in place, the spikes sliding into a crevase in the paving stones. A lesson in raw nescessity.

If you are shooting a lot of documentative/cine verite stuff then it's good if your SR sits almost built in the case.

Portabrace are big on soft cases.

A leather barney is a nice midway point, protecting the camera but without ever needing to be removed. They are rarer these days.

I've been using a film changing bag just bigger than a laptop for aaton mags for a while. Its claustrophobic and a total nuisance but gets the job done. Would be interested if there was a fairly cheap source of tents. The Harrisons are a few hundred arent they? I could buy a real tent for that much.

• Premium Member

I may also err towards bag -v- tent when it comes to moving around. I got a cheap one from a still photo store a few years back and I keep it as a backup incase anything ever did happen to my Harrison-- which I bought the largest one of. It still packs down small, but I want the room when I need it.

• Premium Member

I've got a Harrison Pup that I used for years with my SR-1 mags. Sure, you can go with a bigger tent, but then you need more room to set it up. I never had any problems with the "Pup" with SR mags, 2C mags, 16S/B mags, 16M mags and Anton 16mm mags.

Best,

-Tim