SONY PVM-A250 or LMD-A240 ?

Melody Zhao

Hi. I am considering to buy a professional monitor, either model PVM-A250 or LMD-A240, for the color correction. But I would like to clarify some technical information to see if they are suitable for my usage.

1. Can both monitors color-correct the footages in D-Cinema format? For example, providing a 3D LUT to match the DCI-P3 gamut, or by using a probe or color calibrating software to generate a DCI-P3 compatible 3D-LUT?

2. Any recommended probe?

3. Any recommended working process for the D-cinema color correction?

Thanks for your answer in advance.

Thanks

• Site Sponsor

People are using the PVM-A250 for P3 grading, I would get the OLED and forget the LCD as far as calibration either LightSpace or CalMan Studio with the best probe you can afford. I would also seriously look at the FSI OLED 24" which has calibration by LightSpace built into the display.

http://www.flandersscientific.com/index/cm250.php

People are using the PVM-A250 for P3 grading, I would get the OLED and forget the LCD as far as calibration either LightSpace or CalMan Studio with the best probe you can afford. I would also seriously look at the FSI OLED 24" which has calibration by LightSpace built into the display.

http://www.flandersscientific.com/index/cm250.php

Thank you so much for your helpful advice.

Sony PVM-A250 and FSI CM250 are all OLED. But it is said that the Sony one has the “Accurate Black Reproduction” feature, which can turn each pixel completely off so that no luminance signal is added to parts of the image recorded as black. I was wondering if Flanders Scientific also has this “Accurate Black Reproduction” feature.

Also, I would like to know if LightSpace and CalMan are really helpful. Is it more important to have a better probe?

Thank you very much.

Thank you so much for your helpful advice.

Sony PVM-A250 and FSI CM250 are all OLED. But it is said that the Sony one has the “Accurate Black Reproduction” feature, which can turn each pixel completely off so that no luminance signal is added to parts of the image recorded as black. I was wondering if Flanders Scientific also has this “Accurate Black Reproduction” feature.

Also, I would like to know if LightSpace and CalMan are really helpful. Is it more important to have a better probe?

Thank you very much.

Melody,

the FSI are very, very good grading displays and have internal 3D LUT memories which are used to accurately calibrate the screen. They come pre-calibrated from the factory and FSI uses Lightspace to calibrate the screens.

First thing to keep in mind: all screens drift over time, so no matter how accurate a screen is now - put some hours on it and it will be less accurate as the display ages. So u need to re-calibrate. For color critical application, u need to calibrate more often, especially if u put hours on the screen,

FSI offers a service that u can send in the screen and they re-calibrate it for you, obviously this is not a great solution if every time u have to send the screen in.

Here's info how to do it yourself.

Lightspace is the best 3D LUT calibration in the world, it is (way) better than Calman. There are various versions of Lightspace, see here for a full comparison of all Lightspace versions, as u can see there are 2 dedicated FSI versions: Lightspace FS Light and Lightspace FS Inc - the difference between the 2 version is meter support.

Regarding probes: the best budget solution is to get an i1D3 OEM (i1Display Pro OEM) which is a colorimeter and will be your active meter and a i1Pro rev D (buy used/new on eBay) which is a spectro and will be your reference meter.

You can then pofile the FSI screen via Lightspace, create a 3D LUT for your target (Rec 709 / BT.1886 / DCI P3 / etc) with Lightspace (from the profiling data) and then upload that 3D LUT directly into the FSI via Lightspace.

It will be the most accurate calibration you can get. :)

Hope this helps.

- Mike

Edited by Mike Nagel

Melody,

the FSI are very, very good grading displays and have internal 3D LUT memories which are used to accurately calibrate the screen. They come pre-calibrated from the factory and FSI uses Lightspace to calibrate the screens.

First thing to keep in mind: all screens drift over time, so no matter how accurate a screen is now - put some hours on it and it will be less accurate as the display ages. So u need to re-calibrate. For color critical application, u need to calibrate more often, especially if u put hours on the screen,

FSI offers a service that u can send in the screen and they re-calibrate it for you, obviously this is not a great solution if every time u have to send the screen in.

Here's info how to do it yourself.

Lightspace is the best 3D LUT calibration in the world, it is (way) better than Calman. There are various versions of Lightspace, see here for a full comparison of all Lightspace versions, as u can see there are 2 dedicated FSI versions: Lightspace FS Light and Lightspace FS Inc - the difference between the 2 version is meter support.

Regarding probes: the best budget solution is to get an i1D3 OEM (i1Display Pro OEM) which is a colorimeter and will be your active meter and a i1Pro rev D (buy used/new on eBay) which is a spectro and will be your reference meter.

You can then pofile the FSI screen via Lightspace, create a 3D LUT for your target (Rec 709 / BT.1886 / DCI P3 / etc) with Lightspace (from the profiling data) and then upload that 3D LUT directly into the FSI via Lightspace.

It will be the most accurate calibration you can get. :)

Hope this helps.

- Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for providing me so much information. Your reply is really helpful.

Thank you.

Melody