The lighting in "Hot Fuzz"

Hi all.

I'm a huge fan of Bill Pope and Edgar Wright. I recently re-watched Hot Fuzz and was enamored by the lighting in the opening office scene. The contrast of color between the foreground and background is really pleasant.

Any ideas on how Pope may have approached the lighting in this scene? Particularly achieving the warm tones on Pegg.

- Kevin

ic71hx.png

Edited by Kevin Stiller

• Premium Member

It's been a few years since I last saw it, but from memory the Police Station bits at the start looked very much like a mixed lighting situation - cool blues in the background, warm pleasant skin tones on actors.

My guess would be that Hall possibly lit talent with tungsten, and let the natural daylight hit tungsten stock uncorrected.

It's been a few years since I last saw it, but from memory the Police Station bits at the start looked very much like a mixed lighting situation - cool blues in the background, warm pleasant skin tones on actors.

My guess would be that Hall possibly lit talent with tungsten, and let the natural daylight hit tungsten stock uncorrected.

That was what my gut was telling me, but I feel as though the skin tones don't quite seem the right color. Could it be the film stock aiding that quality?

Edited by Kevin Stiller

• Premium Member

Probably grading as much as anything else. That sort of thing, it's easy enough to isolate the skin tones and treat everything else separately. That sort of very pale turquoise-cyanish sort of look is very fashionable but it isn't something that daylight does very readily, even on tungsten film.

P

Yea on tungesten film it would be way more blue. both in terms of the hue and depth of color as daylight on tungsten is a pretty strong effect ( stronger then what is shown here)

I'm sure they got part way one camera but the tealness I would attribute to grading