help making your own dvd's

steve waschka

This may be beneath the collective intellect of this group. But I would like to know if I should just give up on the idea. I would like to produce dvd's at the house from time to time in small numbers. I have an older dvd recorder but its compression artifacts have become intolerable to me. I have a medical machine but it has choked and stopped doing dvd.. only does vid files now. So I tried a few programs for the macbook pro. None worked smoothly. Anyone have something that works well they could recommend? I am running out of energy for the trial and error approach.

• Premium Member

Umm… Toast works great! You can set the bit rate and it makes menu's + burns right out of the program.

I usually encode with Apple Compressor which is part of the Final Cut Pro Suite. It has a wide range of MPEG settings which allow for decent output, far better then any other tool I've used. The hardware encoders like a stand-alone DVD recorder, are garbage. You need a multi-pass system for variable bitrate in order to fit long-form content onto a DVD and make it look good. If you have a mac and can get compressor, I'd be more then happy to toss some settings your way. :)