the best lens for shooting in candlelight

Paul peabody

I am shooting a movie that is almost entirely lit by candles and I am playing around with various settings ,and lenses,and am trying eos lenses as well to find the most suitable ones,,,I know that when the movie Barry Lyndon was shot,,,it was one of the first to shoot with 35mm lens to facilitate candlelight,,,,has anyone had any experience shooting in an available light (or candle only) setting?I'd love to hear your feedback.

The lenses were not limited to 35mm, but used on an Arri 35mm camera. Those lenses were especially designed for the film, with a T-stop of 1! Very fast, very, very expensive! They also used a fast film. Too, they had more candles than you could imagine to light the set.

Shooting with video, you will have to create the "illusion" of shooting in candle-light.

Jay

• Premium Member
The lenses were not limited to 35mm, but used on an Arri 35mm camera.  Those lenses were especially designed for the film, with a T-stop of 1!  Very fast, very, very expensive!  They also used a fast film.  Too, they had more candles than you could imagine to light the set.

Shooting with video, you will have to create the "illusion" of shooting in candle-light.

Jay

It was a T/0.7 lens, which is even a stop faster than a T/1.0 lens. But the film stock was 100 ASA pushed one stop (200 ASA). Today, you can get the same exposure with a T/1.4 Super-Speed and 800 ASA film.

I stand corrected. It's been over 25 years since I read the article in A.C. magazine. So forgive my bad memory.

Still, I have serious dobuts that the same can be accomplished with the XL2 under the same conditions. But I could be wrong, as Dave has proven!

Jay

Edited by Jay Gladwell

Guest will
I'd love to hear your feedback.

for the xl2 the 16x manual is 1.6, which is the

best avialable for this platform. It does pretty well,

but don't be tempted to use anything higher than 0db

of grain...i mean gain.

Why does it have to be that dark? can't you just

use minimal fill and close the iris a little?

-will

• Premium Member
I am shooting a movie that is almost entirely  lit by candles and I am playing around with various settings ,and lenses,and am trying eos lenses as well to find the most suitable ones,,,I know that when the movie Barry Lyndon was shot,,,it was one of the first to shoot with 35mm lens to facilitate candlelight,,,,has anyone had any experience shooting in an available light (or candle only) setting?I'd love to hear your feedback.

Hi,

I have shot tests using just candles. I Used Zeiss Superspeed's with 500 asa film. I used normal candles without problems. Its not difficult and great fun.

post-3524-1115839148.jpgIts a small Jpeg I will try to find a bigger file

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

It can be very dangerous to be on a working set

Which will have 20---50---maybe 100 lit candles...

Like others have recommended why can't you just simulate the look with ligthing?

Thanks for all the fine feedback,,,I especially like the idea of using the manual 16X,I have a feeling the is the all around best "hands on" tool with the XL2,,,as far as why the candlelite is a must,,, this is a period piece for a "historic sites informational film"( I do intend on beefing up the back of the sets with lots of halogen lights,umbrellas,etc.,,,lots of fire extinguishers,and at least and one "dedicated" person to overlook them.!my only concern is that I do not light the ladies hoop skirts on fire as there are numerous(ahem) petticoats for such clothing.

• Premium Member

Perhaps you can use some of the fake candles for stage theatrical effects near the ladies petticoats as well as in the background. This way you can have a similar look without the risk. You can put them on dimmers, too. Just watch out about mixing real and fake candles, if the flame flickers on some and not others, this might look weird

China balls might also be used for base light and skirted as need be, just out of frame. Kinos?

I think the XL2 has an equivalent ISO of around 640. Anyone confirm this?

Hi,

I have shot tests using just candles. I Used Zeiss Superspeed's with 500 asa film. I used normal candles without problems. Its not difficult and great fun.

post-3524-1115839148.jpgIts a small Jpeg I will try to find a bigger file

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

Looks beautifull, never tried lighting with just candles but now I think I have to try it with my CP T1,25 lenses and some fast stock. When writing this I just realised that this is the XL1/XL2 forum but I just had to comment on that fine screen cap. Hope you all excuse.

• Premium Member
Looks beautifull, never tried lighting with just candles but now I think I have to try

Hi,

As you like it here's a bigger file. As you can see I was overexposed. Grading was a one light pass from a grey scale lit with normal light.post-3524-1116941000.jpg

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com