25p for t.v.

Ram Shani

hi

i plan to shoot music video with the dvx100 pal

and whant to use the 25p mode for film effect.

ill be editing on avid and at the and its going to brodcast on tv.

what mode to use???

i read that if i use cine-gamma i should underexpused for 1stop

or is it only for film output.

for night int what is the recomend gamma??

thanks

ram

p.s

anyone know were i can find mr.mullan artical abuot the dvx/pd150

its not on this site any more way??? :o

• Premium Member

Hi,

All the old stuff is on the siteforums server. Start here:

http://forums.siteforums.com/~cinematography2003/

Yes, it's generally a good idea to err on the side of underexposure in video, since it doesn't deal well with hilights. However, consistently shooting "one stop under" is kind of confusing - one stop under what? If you're shooting one stop under what you feel is correct, then all you're doing is underexposing for no good reason. This is where a waveform monitor comes in, so you can see exactly what you're getting on tape. All this has been extensively discussed in the old forum.

Phil

• Premium Member

IF you are going to do a final color-correction, there's really no "wrong" gamma -- you can used "Cine-Like Gamma" if it gives you the look you want. It's all about how much information you want to record and in what areas.

Cine-Like Gamma is just a somewhat flatter, lower-contrast look but without any knee compression, so bright highlights have to be watched. This is why a little underexposure now & then when you are tying to hold detail in bright areas is a good idea.

All the other gammas (High, Normal, Low) have some knee compression. "High" has less shadow detail. "Low" has more shadow detail but so does "Cine-Like". See:

http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/index.html#GammaSettings

So what you use at night just depends on the look you want. When is doubt, use Normal or do everything with Cine-Like, watch out for overexposed areas, and plan on some color-correcting.

Since there is no 3:2 pulldown needed with PAL, I think there is only one 25P mode on that camera.

The DVX100/PD150 comparison is here:

http://www.lafcpug.org/review_dvx_pd150.html

Hi! Recently shot a video in the IMX format with the p+s 35pro.

Learned a valuable lesson despite it looking very nice for being a

video format...; The Sony IMX default shutter in progressiv scan is a true 25th of a second!! This is something that sure will render you without the film look you intend I can tell you!

Otherwise, underexposure helps not only highlights I find, but also skin tones.

Especially if using flourescent units skin starts to shmmer I feel without taking off the exp a tad.

And also important! Always bring a sturdy case of dulling spray on set to kill reflections=)

Good luck! Fredrik B/Sweden.