Camera Loses Color On Every Shot

Ben Griffin

I'm using a Sony RX100 m3 camera to film a corporate interview type video. We've done multiple takes and on every one, starting at around the 8 second mark it seems to lose its color richness. It's pretty subtle but noticeable. It kinda turns pale green and is only really noticeable on the skin. See the two images below.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? We are complete novices using any type of camera but it seems like a pretty decent shot until this happens.

Not sure if any of this matters but, we're shooting 24p, 50 fps, f2.8, ISO at 125. File format is XAVC S

Before.png

After.png

• Premium Member

Is this happening if you play it out of the camera onto say an HDTV? It could be whatever you're using to look at the video file on your computer is having trouble with the compression.

Also on your computer is that happening on every NLE/Player.

have you tried looking at the scopes in something like Premier or Avid to see if anything actually changes?

The problem was showing up on all video players. I actually first noticed it when I uploaded a test clip onto youtube and watched it back.

The strange thing is, it's not doing it on any new film after that night. I'm scratching my head over here.

That is very odd. Can you upload a camera raw somewhere and post a link. I'll look at it and I know many others will have a look at it as well.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by camera "raw"? I saw this setting on the camera but don't understand what it means.

Looks like it's in auto white balance or something crazy. But it isn't. Is it?

P

Yes, you're right. I didn't even know what white balance was until you asked this question then I googled it. I am using florescent lighting with a color temperature of 5500K. Which white balance setting would you recommend?

My options are: Flour: Warm Light, Flour: Cool White, Flour: Day White, Flour: Daylight

• Premium Member

Basically, yes, a piece of white paper would probably be fine.

People out shooting news tend to balance on any available neutral object. A white-painted vehicle, a copy of the Times, the everpresent British overcast...

Of course the overcast is often bluish, being backed by blue sky, but that's fine: it takes coldness out of the scene. You just have to be aware of what effect it'll have. Try white balancing on some grotesquely inappropriate objects and observe the results - you'll get the idea.

None of us will be able to help you much . We all have monitors calibrated to different standard for different purposes, or even uncalibrated in my case.

You need to read up on colour management.

Subjectively it look better to me but you've also changed your lighting setup. Has the colour change problem gone away?

Edited by Mark Dunn