Test reel

kb1017

So I am renting a s16 and I have my test reel planned out and ready to shot, I was wondering if anybody had any additional things, that may be a little out of the norm, that you always do when test shooting. And/or any must do's, as I may have looked over some things with the fast pace I have been going at lately. I would just like a checklist from the professionals, so that this intermediate can one day join your ranks!!! As always, thanks.

• Premium Member

There are so many things one can test that it would take too long to write them out. There are tests for photographic approaches (lighting, filters, special processing, etc.) tests to determine optimal contrast ratio and exposure latitude, and tests that the AC usually does before a shoot to check registration, scratching, lenses, etc.

My only note is to keep track of little things like what print stock did the lab use to print the tests, at what lights (if this is for print), etc.

• Premium Member

These tests would be very heavy to explain here if you had no or little idea of what they are. If you would tell us what you plan to do, then maybe we could make comments...

How many lenses do you have, how many different stock will you use, what filters, what speeds do you plan to work for, are you using HMI, what sort etc.