Orwo UN54 Film

Being that Plus X has been discontinued, how does UN54 compare? I have used Plus X in 35mm still photography, and loved its look. I have bought some rolls of Plus X in both neg and reversal in 16mm. But when those run out, I'll need a new source. I have heard UN54 looks gorgeous, but in what way? Also has anyone ordered directly from Orwo North America, and how were your experiences with them? Orwo's 16mm 100 foot reels says not on daylight spools, but below it says in daylight spool and black box. So which is it? Does this film have to be loaded in complete darkness, or can you do it in reduced light? Any links to a video transfer of this film would be appreciated. Also do any labs in North America develop this, or only certain ones?

Edited by Scott Pickering

Wow that video has a lot of dust in that film. The reversal- is it typical to have a washed out look? Im wondering where the deep blacks are that you see in typical B&W images? Contrast seems to be low. Im not sure if Plus X is the same story, but the still film has a lot of contrast.

• Premium Member

There is no comparison.

Plus-X was so fine-grained with rich blacks. Orwo made a valiant attempt, but their stock is far more grainy and a bit lower in contrast as you pointed out. It's not just the transfer of that video. I tested it when it first came out and projected a 16mm print. It's decent but to the naked eye, the grain structure appears closer to Double-X rather than Plus-X.

But the only way you will have a fair opinion of it is if you test it yourself.

• Premium Member

Also has anyone ordered directly from Orwo North America, and how were your experiences with them?

A bit pricy for the product, but the customer service was fine. Haven't dealt with them in a while, but they were eager to please when I ordered from them.

Orwo's 16mm 100 foot reels says not on daylight spools, but below it says in daylight spool and black box. So which is it? Does this film have to be loaded in complete darkness, or can you do it in reduced light?

Yup, daylight spools can be loaded in reduced light. Just be sure the film doesn't start to unspool on you. Any part of the spool that does that is exposed.

• Site Sponsor

That clip was a test for a school, the professor wanted to see how it looked under typical conditions, i.e. a Bolex with no ND just going by the "Sunny f16" rule, if I remember correctly we projected it for him before transfer. I think it looks very much like 7231 Plus-X under the same conditions it was a bright mid day when I shot it and if I had added ND it would be less overexposed and more contrasty.

The reversal- is it typical to have a washed out look? Im wondering where the deep blacks are that you see in typical B&W images? Contrast seems to be low. Im not sure if Plus X is the same story, but the still film has a lot of contrast.

Hi Scott,

Robert's example above looks good. It looks typical of BW reversal film. Its not that reversal is inherently low contrast. Far from it. But with reversal film, exposure is everything. Overexposure in reversal means low contrast, fine grain, no blacks (and low colour saturation with colour reversal). Under exposure means higher contrast, higher grain (and high colour saturation). Note that when the camera drops down and you can see the steering wheel there is a dense black then. Exposure has the same effect as with Plus-x reversal as UN54 as anyother bw reversal.