Wiring Lights to Eddison Plugs (Arri 2k and Par Cans)

Hey Guys, A production company I work with bought some lights and a couple of them came with out eddison plugs on them. the insulated cable just leads out and then the three wires are visible. So they are simply missing plugs. I figure this is probably not too difficult a Job to do, but was wondering if anyone could post a link to an explanation of how to do it?

I'm not Gaffer, but hoping it can't be too hard

Edited by Albion Hockney

Attach the appropriate wire to the appropriate terminal. i don't know the US colour codes, they're not the same as ours. You can look them up.

Cut the conductors to the correct length, strip as little sheath off as possible and tighten the strain relief clamp as tight as you can.

• Premium Member

Careful, though. If by "edison plug" you mean some variation on the NEMA-5 series that will go in wall sockets in the USA, most of those (or at least specifically the circuits to which they'll be connected) aren't rated for 2000W. someone like Guy Holt will have more specific information.

P

Ooh, hadn't thought of that. They have too few volts and too many amps.

OP, a 2000W light draws almost 20A at 110V, a very warming experience for a domestic circuit. We have 240V so the current is under half that.

Perhaps I should have put what I first thougt of; If you haven't reached adulthood without learning how to wire a plug, best to let a sparks do it.

So tops for a US domestic circuit is about 1500W.

How do they manage an electric kettle? No wonder we hear a lot about plugging into a cooker circuit. Those are 30A here so you could presumably light a house.

From the outside.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Do they have electricity there yet?

LA - vernacular for Los Angeles, California...

LA -- US State code for Louisiana... about 1900 miles east of LA for New Orleans (random well known city in Louisiana...)

Edited by John E Clark

So tops for a US domestic circuit is about 1500W.

How do they manage an electric kettle? No wonder we hear a lot about plugging into a cooker circuit. Those are 30A here so you could presumably light a house.

From the outside.

The usual 'max' wattage devices that are in the typical US home run about 1K to 1.5K for things like 'space heater', 'Toaster' or counter top 'cooker' type devices.

For fixed equipment, there is 220V available and those are run from the power box to the appliance. Washer/Driers/Stove (unless a 'gas' stove...), and house heating if electrical and airconditioning if installed.

There is a wall plug indicator for residential power, which indicates whether the power is a 15 Amp or a 20 Amp circuit. For 'office' use for the modern era, those are mostly 20 Amp circuits.

Old residences tend to be 15 Amp, and because of the age, one may have fire potential, so it behooves one to check out the wiring if one is location shooting and not bringing in one's own power generator.

Edited by John E Clark