What is this light?

• Premium Member

What would be the most portable/mobile and cost efficient way to light this?

You could easily gel just about any kind of light to get this effect. If you were to use a fresnel, I don't think you'd need more than a 300w, but the source looks a bit softer, so it might be a fluorescent lamp that's being used.

Also, bear in mind that it looks like this scene was shot on digital (lots of noise at the bottom of the frame.) So you would need less light output than if you were using film.

• Premium Member

You can actually get green-emitting fluorescent tubes quite cheaply. I have some for green screen work but I've used them for effects light. You need to be a bit cautious as they really are very green.

P

• Premium Member

You can actually get green-emitting fluorescent tubes quite cheaply. I have some for green screen work but I've used them for effects light. You need to be a bit cautious as they really are very green.

P

Yup. Looks like they're right here: https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/fluorescent-tube-guard-sleeves/

• Premium Member

You can filter LEDs, although I'm pretty sure I've seen green-emitting LEDs natively. You could jury-rig something with off-the-shelf parts, too - those hundred-watt LED clusters are available in the primary colours.

Unfortunately, not very many LED manufacturers offer colour options, which ought to be easy, especially with remote phosphor types.

P

• Premium Member

Just rent a bi-color 1x1 Litepanel with v-lock batteries and bring a small selection of Plus Green and diffusion gel, plus a 4x4 bounce card. You'll prob want to bounce the Litepanel into the bounce card about 5 feet away from camera right and dim it way down to match the ambient light levels. If you can't get bi-color then bring a selection of CTO and CTB gels.