The Young & Predigious T.S. Spivit

• Premium Member

I sought out a screening of this film, which is only playing in three theaters in Los Angeles, with no press screenings, no advertising, and no reviews...

Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and shot by Thomas Hardmeier in native 3D on the ARRI Alexa, this is one of the best photographed native 3D movies since "Hugo", which is shares some similarities with (in terms of being centered around a young boy).

The funny thing for me was that I swear Jeunet must have seen two films I've shot, "The Astronaut Farmer" and "Northfork" -- the colors, the farm, the father, are all similar to elements in "The Astronaut Farmer" and the boy in the Montana landscape has certain similarities to "Northfork"...

Anyway, I pulled from frames from Google, some are still unit photographs, others seem to be actual frames:

spivit1.jpg

spivit2.jpg

spivit3.jpg

spivit4.jpg

spivit5.jpg

spivit6.jpg

• Premium Member

I saw it in cinemas in 3D a year ago and it was a fantastic experience.

I am a very big fan of Jeunet and this movie was one of the best ones he has directed ever.

The journey of the kid is just magical and Hardmeier's photography is just magnificent and extraordinary (there is a moment where the kid is travelling on the train inside the camper van that is beautiful)

Thomas Hardmeier won the Cesar, the Lumiere and the Camerimage for best cinematography for this movie :)

Again, beautiful movie with a very tender story and worth watching it if you get your hands on it! :)

Have a lovely day!