Going through old files

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

I'm cleaning out my back office in order to repair the floors, which means boxing up everything in my file cabinets. Before I put everything back, I'm going to be doing a lot of throwing out of stuff. I used to collect a lot of catalogs and tech sheets at trade shows, so I have twenty years of that stuff in my file cabinet. It's funny how things have changed because of the internet, though some things I'll always keep, like my old camera rental house catalogs, especially the glossy Panavision catalogs full of photos of movie crews at work. At lot of the grip and electric stuff will go, I don't need to carry paperwork on Technocrane specs anymore.

One thing I will keep are my folders on Kodak, Fuji, and Agfa. Besides their catalogs, they put out press releases of films in production using their stocks, short ads with interviews with DP's using their stocks, etc. It's still great stuff to look at, if only to recall how some movie was made in the 1980's and 1990's.

In some ways, the internet has certainly reduced the need for paperwork to be stored, though not eliminated it.

• Premium Member

Have you thought about, instead of the trash heap, finding some local or even not so local little film school programs to which you could donate thee stuff as reference material?

Before I left my last job I gave them quite a bit of my old [film] advert stuff. Though even now I think I still have 3 milk crated filled with the stuff sitting in my new apartment's floor.

• 6 years later...

Found this old post...

GD...I would have loved to scan that stuff before it was trashed. Did you get time to scan it Dave? If so, can you send me the scans and I will upload to the I.A....or you can upload. (As long as the scans are decent res.)

I was just going to write a post on this very topic...

Scan your Catalogs! 

Paper catalogs are fast disappearing. Instruction manuals too! If you got the room, save the paper material and if not...SCAN!

I'd be glad to scan catalogs for free for anyone as long as they interest my Archive and the material is shared with me. 600 dpi - 800 dpi scans, it just depends on the material. You just pay shipping both ways if you want the material returned. And if it is bulky catalogs, the binding gets cut off to run through the sheet fed scanner. 

write direct to discuss:

w1000w@aol.com

Dan

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately have been working on outdoor sports and recreation catalog Archive. It is a mess. I got a few hundred of them. Had hundreds more, but lost them from poor storage. Back 20+ years ago I used to spend a lot of time outside...longboarding, kayaking, bouldering, hiking, skiboarding, (short twin tip ski skates), snowshoeing. Nothing hardcore, just for fun. Now I hardly do a thing...but work.

Before I gave catalogs much thought I used to trash tons of them. I wasted a lot of good things that I wished I had now. Paper catalogs were something we took for granted...until they were gone. Some companies don't even want to make PDF catalogs to replace their paper catalogs.

s-l1600.jpg

Stephenson was something. He was a nudist and put nudie girls in the catalog!

When I moved out of a storage unit a few years ago, I was horrified to find the roof had been leaking at the back of the unit for a long time. Not being able to afford a bigger unit, it was all pressure packed with stuff.  I had not been to the back of the unit in ages, so I had no idea it was leaking back there. All the paper in that area had black mold and the pages / photos were stuck together. I had to trash it all.

Some things were just stinky with mildew smell. Well, I came up with a method to deal with mildew...microwave radiation!

Treating moldy and mildewed books with microwave radiation – Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection – II (home.blog)

Didn't know what the hell I was doing or if it would even work. But it worked out well. What was the alternative? Trash more stuff? Like I tell you all with your film work...TEST!

I'm always jealous of the rich archives with an underground climate-controlled storage behind a heavy vault door. But for the rest of us broke archivists...we are lucky to rent a storage locker.

s-l1600.jpg

Glad I didn't keep this in the storage unit! This was before Yvon Chouinard became Patagonia.

Yvon_Chouinard_by_Tom_Frost.jpg

Yvon Chouinard

Some photos NSFW

Screenshot%2002-22-2022%2017.51.01.jpg

Some of these old catalogs are stupendous in cost. Take this 1960 Holubar...

Screenshot%2002-21-2022%2018.16.38.jpg

I bid $37.63 for it, that was all I could afford. Well, someone has got some dough. Maybe a rich Silicon Valley engineer or crypto miner bought it? And in the big picture, I don't need the catalog. I'm not a collector. I can get by just fine with 600 dpi scans of it. 

Yes, lots of time capsule stuff in the old catalogs.

Screenshot%2002-20-2022%2020.37.28.jpg

Screenshot%2002-21-2022%2014.01.30.jpg

This is dummy cell was hi-tech back then...

Screenshot%2002-21-2022%2014.02.14.jpg

Screenshot%2002-21-2022%2014.28.04.jpg

Look at these snowshoes!

Screenshot%2002-21-2022%2019.50.30.jpg

Screenshot%2002-22-2022%2000.05.47.jpg

Some companies sold 'sew at home' kits. Wow!

Screenshot%2002-21-2022%2012.03.46.jpg

Look at that mom!  She was not pierced and tattooed like the gals we got nowadays. What a freak.

...and then we come to Warmlite! (He was the aforementioned nudist enthusiast.)

NSFW

Screenshot%2002-22-2022%2000.07.03.jpg

Screenshot%2002-22-2022%2000.07.52.jpg

Screenshot%2002-22-2022%2000.08.16.jpg

Screenshot%2002-22-2022%2000.08.46.jpg

Screenshot%2002-22-2022%2000.09.35.jpg

Screenshot%2002-22-2022%2000.12.10.jpg

GD, can you imagine if Lasergraphics made catalogs like that!

I only have one original Warmlite catalog in the Archive. These are all PDF's scans someone else made.

Screenshot%2002-21-2022%2013.38.57%20-%2

They have a special collections library in UT with a massive collection of outdoors catalogs...2700 or so. I only have maybe 300 or so catalogs. (A big chunk of it digital.)

I wrote them asking if they had any PDF's to share with me. They said they are just trying to scan the covers only and not the contents. (I thought to myself, what a GD mess for an Archive. They have a messily 2700 catalogs and can't even scan the covers. I routinely scan 25,000 - 40,000 pages a year.)

They asked if I could donate some $$ to sponsor scans. I told them I could scan 10 to 15 catalogs for free each month as an ongoing donation until the project is completed; as long as the material is shared with my Archive. They never wrote back.

Well, Spring is coming...plan to get outdoors this summer and ground with the earth...with no insulation!