Field monitor quality

David Edward Keen

Need one. Just using a Canon Rebel T3i but eventually will buy another... One day if need be I'll get a red, but it's necessary only to have t3i now.

Suggestions for a monitor under $1000 ?

Evaluating focus, having focus help points, zebras, and other helpful features is necessary.

Also being helpful when I eventually move to another cam, probably a full frame DSLR

Thanks!

Maybe just over budget.. but Ive recently bought a TV logic 580W.. 5.5 inches.. its full HD res and a very nice,well built monitor .. I dont really use alot of the focus,exposure features but them seem to all be in there..scaling etc.. all sorts of power/battery options ..

I would be careful going too cheap.. with monitors you often get what you pay for .. and can be a dis economy .. to spent say $600 on something thats useless.. than $1,500 that really good and will last you a few years..

Greg Im sure you need a very good monitor ! had a look at the Small HD 7".. also very nice.. Im using mine purely for the dir to have a quick squint at.. as an on board on a zacuto arm.. (which is also very good,as you can keep the mounts on the camera and monitor and just have to slot the arm in and tighten it up..)

In my location TV logic is sold through iDX.. which was convenient as I had recently bought some stuff from them directly so got a decent discount :).. and they had a V mount attachment which I might also sometimes use with a wireless set up..

Dave .. BM have come out with a pretty cheap monitor.. called video assist .. or something like that.. thats about $600.. Ive seen it only at a trade show.. but couldn't handle it .. but it looks good .. how they have done it so cheaply I dont know.. but any monitor you buy I would advise you to get it up and running with your own camera and see how it is off axis etc..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

Greg Im sure you need a very good monitor ! had a look at the Small HD 7".. also very nice.. Im using mine purely for the dir to have a quick squint at.. as an on board on a zacuto arm.. (which is also very good,as you can keep the mounts on the camera and monitor and just have to slot the arm in and tighten it up..)

In my location TV logic is sold through iDX.. which was convenient as I had recently bought some stuff from them directly so got a decent discount :).. and they had a V mount attachment which I might also sometimes use with a wireless set up..

I absolutely love Zacuto mounts and arms. Very high quality. I too, use their arms as well as the Zrounds and ZUDS for mounting not only the monitors but also cinetapes.

G

Yes great company.. they even send me small parts for free ! .. they sent me by their error an axis mini for the wrong camera.. then said i could just keep it! and they sent the right one .. that was hundreds of dollars !!..they made and emailed me my own custom made video about how to rig some of their gear.. that was a first !

For video camera,s their universal base plate/shoulder pad with gel sacks is really great... amazing customer service ..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

Dave .. BM have come out with a pretty cheap monitor.. called video assist .. or something like that.. thats about $600.. Ive seen it only at a trade show.. but couldn't handle it .. but it looks good .. how they have done it so cheaply I dont know.. but any monitor you buy I would advise you to get it up and running with your own camera and see how it is off axis etc..

_________________________________________________________________________________________

thanks! i'll check it.

If you're really on a budget then you may like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Lilliput-663-1280x800-Peaking/dp/B00B9IAD9U

It even has an HDMI Loop Out, decent Waveform and Histogram (RGB Parade as well) scopes.

And the usual features, like color peaking, pixel to pixel, tons of markers, dslr mode,

I'm fairly suprised with the quality of this thing, for that price!

Only thing that might be bothering sometimes is the resolution. It's no the best monitor for your 1st AC. If you really need to judge focus you should digitally zoom in or rely on peaking with the Lilliput

There is also an SDI model on the market. About 200-300$ pricier.