Digital Super8 cartridge

Lance Soltys

• Premium Member

Yea, I do recall seeing a digital back for the SR at one point. However, I can't imagine them being any good for the price. People who own film cameras, generally want to shoot film and modern digital cameras can accept much of the older film camera glass.

• Premium Member

PS Tecknic used to make one-- though i don't think in any volume, for the SR3. If memory served, you had to remove the gate in order to use it-- so it wasn't a quick interchange thing in the field. Kind of a good idea for what would've been a modular system at a time before d-cinema cameras really took off into what they are now, much like digital backs for stills cameras around the same period.

That nolab thing won't die will it? It's not real - Just a design concept from several years ago that was never meant for production.

It suddenly started making the rounds on my facebook feed last week again!

That being said, someone could totally do this pretty easily these days. lots of Arduino and Raspberry Pi setups with camera sensors out there that could be retrofitted into a 3D-printed Super 8 cart. It'd be a fun project to try to pull off...