Low-light 4K Video Performance - Sony A7 RII vs A7 sII

Joe Taylor

Very curious in Sony's A7 series latest DSLR cameras primarily for their real time 4K video low-light abilities. Can somebody in the know chime in about the low-light abilities (again 4k video) for the Sony A7R II vs the A7 SII?

Thank You

• 3 weeks later...

Hi , Joe

I did a couple of tests with the a7s ii as I am considering it for a project which involves a lot of night exterior as well as night interior.

Here is what I learnt

1 - I heard that the sensor performs pretty much the same as the a7rii or the a7s even in low light [different in day however]

2 - The base iso in slog 3 is 1600 and the native iso of the sensor is 3200.

3 - There is a lot of visible noise in the blacks and shadows at almost any iso when shooting slog 3

4 - There is less noise when shooting a normal gamma profile such as the Picture profile 4 or Cine 4

Slog3 will show up more noise in the shadows because its a high DR log curve ..compared to standard gamma,s.. it will go away when graded .. if there was at least enough light for Slog to get a decent exposure.. !

Not advisable use Log when its really dark anyway..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• 2 weeks later...

The A7sII is the camera to use for low-light 4K. The pixels are more than triple the size of the A7rII, so you'll get a lot less noise in the very dark. But exposure is still important, of course, so don't go shooting two stops under and expecting miracles.