Cooke and Zeiss Primes

Robert Edge

• Premium Member

Does anyone know what the design/production of any of the following lens series dates to:

Cooke S4 series

Cooke S3 series

Cooke S2 series

Zeiss Ultra Primes

Zeiss Ultra Speeds (current version)

Zeiss Standard Primes (current version)

In the case of the Zeiss Ultra Speeds and Standard Primes, are the design/production dates the same for 35mm and 16mm lenses?

I'd also be interested in any observations about what design changes were made between the various series and the impact of these changes.

Are there any books or articles that discuss these questions? The American Cinematography Manual lists the various lens series of these and other manufacturers, but does not talk about production dates and series characteristics.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

I have one French book where several of these lenses are dated, but unfortunately I have lent it to a friend.

If memory serves me right, the Cooke S4s became available around 1999/2000 and the Zeiss Ultra Primes date from 1998.

I think there are several series of Super Speeds, the older ones have fewer iris blades and optically are not as good as the later ones.

• Premium Member
Does anyone know what the design/production of any of the following lens series dates to:

Cooke S3 series

Cooke S2 series

Thanks.

Cooke speed pancro (S1) from 1921

Cooke speed pancrd (S2) Mid 1940's

Cooke speed pancro (S3) Mid 1950's but only 18mm & 25mm exist

Stephen

• Premium Member

So there was a thirty-or-more year gap between the Cooke S3's and S4's?

I know that after "Barry Lyndon" was made, Alcott & Kubrick started using new Super-Speeds by Zeiss because "The Shining" used them. If Zeiss Standard Speeds did not appear until 1985, what was out there before that by Zeiss?

There is a timeline here but it only mentions a Technical Oscar in 1987 for its new line of lenses, the ones you are talking about:

http://www.zeiss.com/4125681C00466C26/Cont...5256B75005EDDEC

• Premium Member
So there was a thirty-or-more year gap between the Cooke S3's and S4's?

:

http://www.zeiss.com/4125681C00466C26/Cont...5256B75005EDDEC

David,

Thats right 30 years but only 2 series III lenses were ever made the 18mm + 25mm. In the original housings the lens turns in the mount to focus. If you rent a full set it's both series II + III. Geoff Boyles's set were rebuilt by Van Diemen. Jeff Barklage's (recently stolen set) were rebuilt by Centuary and Panavision has rebuilt many sets.

Stephen Williams DoP Zurich

www.stephenw.com

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Hi,

Are the cooke series 1, 2 and 3 still usable lenses compared with, say, superspeeds.

Rob

Hi,

The series 2 / 3 yes very beautiful glass, not the same as Superspeeds, more dreamy!

I did once use an original Cooke Speed Pancro (series 1) lens, designed in the 1920's. It was very very soft even at 5.6 or 8. Steer well clear, some were recently for sale on E-bay. The later lenses are marked Series II or Series III

Stephen

Hi

it seems that the cookes are still a popular lens choice...can anyone tell me what focal lengths the full range of series 2 and 3 primes come in...and can they be converted to arri bayonet .

Many thanks

Rob Spence

• Premium Member
Hi

it seems that the cookes are still a popular lens choice...can anyone tell me what focal lengths the full range of series 2 and 3 primes come in...and can they be converted to arri  bayonet .

Many thanks

Rob Spence

Hi,

Cooke Speed Pancro Series II came in 18, 25, 32, 40, 50, 75mm. The 100 & 152 were called Deep Field Pancro but would probably be included in a full set. Joe Dunton also has a 317mm & 512mm to rent but I can't see them mentioned on Cookes website www.cookeoptics.com !

The lenses can be found for sale on Ebay in most mounts, and very cheaply in Arri STD. Arri Standard to Arri bayonet adapters available but collimation can be an issue. Rebuilt in PL mounts they are fairly expensive.

Stephen Williams Lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

• 2 months later...

I know that after "Barry Lyndon" was made, Alcott & Kubrick started using new Super-Speeds by Zeiss because "The Shining" used them. If Zeiss Standard Speeds did not appear until 1985, what was out there before that by Zeiss?

The first series of Zeiss high-speeds came out in early 70s, about the same time as the 35BL.

They had bayonet mount and 67mm filtyer thread.

1985 would be the PL mts.

---PL