Other works

Adrian Sierkowski

• Premium Member

I am not, really, honestly, that big on promoting myself-- which probably explains my own position in the film world as it is, but, in an effort to try new things, my good friend Brett and I assembled a book together or little poems and such we've been writing over the years.

Personally, I find the act of writing a great escape from all the visual information I'm inundated with, as well as reading a great exercise in keeping my own imagination working-- keeps me a little sane I'm sure.

In any case, if any of you want to check it out, it's probably not the best, here you are:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/152371168X/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

But on top of that, I am further curious; what other creative things we all do to fill in the momentary downtimes, to keep your imaginations fueled.

• Premium Member

Congrats, Adrian. I actually saw that on your Twiitter feed. Best of luck with it!

In answer to your question, I began my creative journey through writing and I still do it. It's a great way of expressing yourself. And since I have a visual mind, I tend to write visually - maybe that's another reason cinematography always appealed to me.

• Premium Member

Thanks Bill. Truth be told the twitter is automated so I'm hands off on it-- but there's enough social media as is.

Personally I think the ability to write is critical as a DoP as well as the understanding of narrative style. Have you any of your writings 'round?

• 3 weeks later...

Got a 5-star rating, looking good so far!

In the last few years I accumulated hobbies that wouldn't fall under the blanket of "cinematography" but still go back into the big picture of filmmaking like recording engineering and joke writing (and God have those helped getting shorts done). One random thing I picked up as a joke that ended up improving my dialogue was writing rap verses, really brushed me up on the ever important double entendre.

Outside of that, I collect soul and hip-hop vinyls, been trying my hand in small-scale broadcasting (heavily influenced by the interviewing talents of Stern), and have played/watched basketball my entire life. Anyone else big on sports here?

• Premium Member

Ha; and it's not even from me! lol.

I can't watch sports, but man do I miss playing street hocket/roller hockey (well blades) back in Philly-- just as a pickup game with some friends on a "small street" as we called them, and the ever present echoes of "car!"