new to super 8! need help

Agnes Kim

Hi

I'm trying to buy my very first super 8 camera

and I wonder which one would be a good choice for me!

I've searched cameras and kinda narrow downed them

canon 1014xl-s/1014 AZ E/814series

elmo 612S-XL/1012s

since i really don't know about 8mm cameras, i couldn't really choose it just looking at the specs

so I searched outputs of these cameras and picked some of them I think it's beautiful

shot by elmo1012s. It looks nice

this looks great too. canon 1014xl-s

these are shot by bolex 16mm though

but you can see what kind of images i want to create

no info of camera

elmo 612sxl

no info of camera

I don't really mind about the difficulty of using camera(of course i prefer easier and simpler one though)

but i want a reliable one. i don't know if i can get repair in my city

..and i think i prefer sharper look. clear and clean!

I'm so thrilled to get my super8!

thank you for reading it!

Edited by Agnes Kim

and more,

i don't really mind about the sound!

mostly it's gonna be used for music videos or sth experimental..

anyways sound isn't necessary for me

image is the most important thing!

and something that isn't too heavy

thanks! :)

and more,

i don't really mind about the sound!

mostly it's gonna be used for music videos or sth experimental..

anyways sound isn't necessary for me

image is the most important thing!

and something that isn't too heavy

thanks! :)

The best camera for you would be a Nizo 481 or 561. I've owned and used most of the good S8 cameras over the years, and the Nizo Schneider lens holds up very well, very sharp. It is very compact with a fold back handle, you can carry it around on your hip. Built in intervolometer 1fpm to 6fps, 180, 90, 45 degree shutter options, with the option to have an open shutter exposure ranging from 1fpm-6fps. 18, 24, and 54fps slow motion. The models that end in "1" have an autoB feature that advances frames for open shutter time lapses. Once you get used to all the mechanics of shooting film as 3600 photographs with the mechanics of this camera, there is an infinite amount of creative potential. I'll try and attach a link to a link to a experimental music video i made last year, mostly with a Nizo 481 Macro.

https://vimeo.com/133524531

That's strange.....I don't know why just the first sentence of my previous post appeared. Oh well I'll retype it again:

Remember that the film stock you use plays a big part in how the footage will look. Though of course the quality of the lens comes into it as well. If you want sharp, clear images then shoot slow speed films (low asa ratings.) It's a pity that Kodachrome 40 is long gone as that would have been ideal for your uses - though it was also a bit contrasty. For black and white, there was Plus-X which was also a slow speed film but Kodak's pulled the plug on that one too.

I do believe that Kodak currently offers a 50asa negative film in super 8 format which is part of the Vision 3 series. Though being a negative film, it's not intended for projection. You have to get this film transferred to digital in order to get a positive image. There are also small independent companies that get hold of various film stocks from larger formats and cut them down and load them into super 8 cartridges so that might open up some more reversal film options to you if you want to project your films. The other thing that i should add is that although it would be nice to use slow speed fine grain films all the time, the harsh reality is that it's not always possible. Often the lighting conditions dictate what kind of film you'll be using. And many times you'll be forced to use faster films in which case you'll have to put up with a bit of grain.

Thanks Anthony!

I appreciate your recommendation! I'm searching it on ebay and there are not many Nizo 481 or 561 items :wacko:

maybe i should wait for them. oh and between 481 and 561 which one you recommend more? if both are fine i'd go for cheaper one

and what about 814 series? there were a lot of 814.. and I kinda liked it (not too out of my budget, and i heard it's slightly sharper than 1014series)

the best one seems 814xls but i don't really need sound so would 814xl be fine for me?

and the MV! amazing work indeed! it was very experimental which i love, and definitely matches the song

and yeah it was clear image you've got

btw I was looking at your other videos

this looked also good! is it Nizo again?

https://vimeo.com/72364968

and these too

also I'm going to buy the projector as well for home telecine

is canon ps 1000 canosound good for starter? this one is on good price, so if it's fine i'm going to buy one

thanks again for your precious reply! it's very helpful :)

• Upvote 1

That's strange.....I don't know why just the first sentence of my previous post appeared. Oh well I'll retype it again:

Remember that the film stock you use plays a big part in how the footage will look. Though of course the quality of the lens comes into it as well. If you want sharp, clear images then shoot slow speed films (low asa ratings.) It's a pity that Kodachrome 40 is long gone as that would have been ideal for your uses - though it was also a bit contrasty. For black and white, there was Plus-X which was also a slow speed film but Kodak's pulled the plug on that one too.

I do believe that Kodak currently offers a 50asa negative film in super 8 format which is part of the Vision 3 series. Though being a negative film, it's not intended for projection. You have to get this film transferred to digital in order to get a positive image. There are also small independent companies that get hold of various film stocks from larger formats and cut them down and load them into super 8 cartridges so that might open up some more reversal film options to you if you want to project your films. The other thing that i should add is that although it would be nice to use slow speed fine grain films all the time, the harsh reality is that it's not always possible. Often the lighting conditions dictate what kind of film you'll be using. And many times you'll be forced to use faster films in which case you'll have to put up with a bit of grain.

I copy pasted your helpful advice about films in my note app. I'll try to find Kodachrome 40 on ebay!

i do want a sharp and clear images, and i like dark looks..with contrast

but I'm looking for color film only, cause what I do is post production, so I can just color correct it.

and It's good to know that I must buy reversal films. :)

if possible, can you recommend a camera for me?

Thanks for everything!

I copy pasted your helpful advice about films in my note app. I'll try to find Kodachrome 40 on ebay!

i do want a sharp and clear images, and i like dark looks..with contrast

but I'm looking for color film only, cause what I do is post production, so I can just color correct it.

and It's good to know that I must buy reversal films. :)

if possible, can you recommend a camera for me?

Thanks for everything!

Kodachrome 40 can't be processed anymore except in Black and White and that is costly.

Freya

If you didn't already know, Kodak is coming out with new Super 8 cameras and film packages this fall. The new cameras will only run at basic speeds, 9,18,24,25fps (but could change with firmware updates?) but will have some cool new features like on board audio recording, wider screen frame, inter-changable lenses. The film packages will be film, processing, and scan under one roof at one price.

http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/Consumer/Products/Super8/default.htm

The 2 & 3rd films of mine you posted were shot with the Nizo. The 1st from 1959 that I scanned. I've owned that Nizo since 2005, but just got another barely used 481 last summer for about $200USD. The differences on the 481, 561, and 801 are the zoom lens sizes. The 801's lens is a little bulkier, the 481's is the smallest. Unless you want more zoom (which I usually don't) the smaller of the lenses is just as sharp as the others. I also use a Canon 814XLS which has been good for more straight forward shooting, especially in low light. Also a good choice but more spendy.

• Upvote 1

If you didn't already know, Kodak is coming out with new Super 8 cameras and film packages this fall. The new cameras will only run at basic speeds, 9,18,24,25fps (but could change with firmware updates?) but will have some cool new features like on board audio recording, wider screen frame, inter-changable lenses. The film packages will be film, processing, and scan under one roof at one price.

http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/Consumer/Products/Super8/default.htm

The 2 & 3rd films of mine you posted were shot with the Nizo. The 1st from 1959 that I scanned. I've owned that Nizo since 2005, but just got another barely used 481 last summer for about $200USD. The differences on the 481, 561, and 801 are the zoom lens sizes. The 801's lens is a little bulkier, the 481's is the smallest. Unless you want more zoom (which I usually don't) the smaller of the lenses is just as sharp as the others. I also use a Canon 814XLS which has been good for more straight forward shooting, especially in low light. Also a good choice but more spendy.

I know about Kodak's upcoming Super 8 but I'm not sure about that.. don't know why! possibly i want to get that later..just I can't wait for this fall!

well if those are Nizo I'm definitely getting one. I think 481 is overall nice but can't find on Ebay...

I'm really sorry that I keep asking things.. I'm trying to search information as much i can, but at some point I can not really understand cause I guess never had analogue camera. not even a film camera.

- do you recommend any reliable shops that sell online and ship internationally?

- is canon ps 1000 canosound ok?

- what about Nizo S560? for about $140 or less (in case I can't find Nizo 481 macro or 561 macro)

- if there's no frame counter would it be really bothering? (nizo 801 macro)

Edited by Agnes Kim

• Premium Member

The film packages will be film, processing, and scan under one roof at one price.

I think Kodak is considering outsourcing it to existing labs, which would be consistent with their idea of supporting existing infrastructure and selling the chemicals and film...it would just LOOK like Kodak did it all. Hopefully that's good news for our labs that we love.

I know about Kodak's upcoming Super 8 but I'm not sure about that.. don't know why! possibly i want to get that later..just I can't wait for this fall!

well if those are Nizo I'm definitely getting one. I think 481 is overall nice but can't find on Ebay...

I'm really sorry that I keep asking things.. I'm trying to search information as much i can, but at some point I can not really understand cause I guess never had analogue camera. not even a film camera.

- do you recommend any reliable shops that sell online and ship internationally?

- is canon ps 1000 canosound ok?

- what about Nizo S560? for about $140 or less (in case I can't find Nizo 481 macro or 561 macro)

- if there's no frame counter would it be really bothering? (nizo 801 macro)

Macro is a gimmick of the past. Few use it these days.

Framecounting is convenient to keep track of scene lengths etcetera. If it remains on when the camera is off then you could tell how much is left :) Not too many cameras have framecounting.

Thanks to everybody for the help!

I got my camera Nizo 481 macro

I'm absolutely loving my camera now

the sad thing is I didn't buy any film cartridges yet :wacko:

need to study about films.... from now!