focus pulling with hand held.

By 'handhold camera' do you mean a DSLR or camcorder in your hands rather than on your shoulder?

What I use, a dslr with a homemade shoulder rig, and I'm doing the finishing touches on a steadycam.One thing I'd also like to know is how to do get things in focus at low apertures, I love doing things at f5.6, But I will only be able to to do that half the time at most, because I need the extra light.

• Premium Member

Okay. On a shoulder rig, you'll have two points of contact for stability - your shoulder and a hand supporting the rig, this will let you be reasonably steady with your second hand on either the focus ring or a follow focus.

On a Steadicam it's impossible to focus by hand (you'll upset the balance of the rig) so remote focus is necessary for that.

If you're using a Micro Four-Thirds mount camera or an E-mount camera, there's the highly affordable option of an Aputure DEC wireless lens controller for Canon EF lenses, which will give you some basic wireless control of your focus for not much money.

Okay. On a shoulder rig, you'll have two points of contact for stability - your shoulder and a hand supporting the rig, this will let you be reasonably steady with your second hand on either the focus ring or a follow focus.

On a Steadicam it's impossible to focus by hand (you'll upset the balance of the rig) so remote focus is necessary for that.

If you're using a Micro Four-Thirds mount camera or an E-mount camera, there's the highly affordable option of an Aputure DEC wireless lens controller for Canon EF lenses, which will give you some basic wireless control of your focus for not much money.

I'm using manual only lenses.