Lee or Rosco

The gel specs are always listed on the site. How many stops they will take away etc. I have noticed that for correction gels, I much prefer Rosco. But for diffusion, I think Lee is way better. Just my own opinion though.

Did a quick check at their sites. Full CTB had a 2% transmission difference between the brands (Rosco being 36, Lee being 34).

Not sure how much that will make difference in real practice.

• Premium Member

I just prefer lee for printing along the side of the gel WTF it is. It's such a simple thing, but so so so nice, just to be able to pick it up and go, oh, ok, i can't read the sharpie on this (if any) but it's x or y.

They're all good; just don't mix them, that's all. If you order Lee for your corrections, stick wiith lee for all corrections, don't do one head with lee CTO and one with Rosco (though honestly, i doubt it'd make that big a difference, least of all when you can roughly see it on the day)

If I recall correctly LEE makes some really nice high heat version of their GELS which would likely hold up better with film lighting vs theatrical lighting where you are unlikely to see anything more than 1k.

Two point of conjecture: "real" theater shows occasional have 2k(s) and 5k(s); the same piece of gel on a theater light may be used for weeks at a time. Unlikely in the film world, unless it's a standing set on an episodic..

• Upvote 1

I just prefer lee for printing along the side of the gel WTF it is. It's such a simple thing, but so so so nice, just to be able to pick it up and go, oh, ok, i can't read the sharpie on this (if any) but it's x or y.

They're all good; just don't mix them, that's all. If you order Lee for your corrections, stick wiith lee for all corrections, don't do one head with lee CTO and one with Rosco (though honestly, i doubt it'd make that big a difference, least of all when you can roughly see it on the day)

The printing on the edge of Lee gel rolls is a necessity of the "pay per use" expendables world. It's there for the convenience of the rental house, no measuring, weighing or estimating of how many feet of gels were used..

Edited by JD Hartman