How would you quote for an international gig?

Yash Lucid

Say for example your day rate for shooting is $250. You get asked to shoot for one day, so that's $250 you charge.

BUT...

There is travel involved, while covered & paid for by the client, it also means you spend 1 day travelling, 1 day not doing anything so that you're there early to account for delays, 1 day shooting, and then 1 day waiting until the evening for your flight.

How does one quote for "downtime" which could be used to earn money from local clients? Please advise.

Then you charge a travel rate. High enough to cover your costs of doing business but low enough not to put the client off. It also depends how easy it would be to replace you with a local.

Or quote a 3-day minimum for foreign work. No reason for your expenses to dwarf your fee.

BTW is that a real figure? It's pretty awful for a DP.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Yes always charge for a travel day.. the mere concept is fairly recent.. and doesn't really bare up to any logical business premise .. as you say.. its your time that you could be shooting for someone else.. at least 50% your day rate.. if they wont pay it these are not people you want to work for anyway..

Sure.. I was just surprised it was the norm.. I wouldn't really class it as nickel and dimming though..I charge a healthy rate too.. but there is a principle at stake .. like a travel day,down days are part of the production schedule .. if its long shoot you need time off anyway,if not ,its for a reason that suits the production ,and if away from home base.. you should be paid for your time.. I must be old I remember when there no travel days,or down days free.. you were employed from X day to Y day.. simple.. if the shoot is in Africa.. then you have to travel there.. if its raining and you cant shoot.. or the elephants dont arrive for 3 days.. or everyone just needs a say off.. you just got paid.. :)

Actually, we all are. We hear a lot about Richard Bonnington's pachydermatous shenanigans in his latest picture. Cheaper than actors and only slightly worse at taking direction.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Haha, elephants!? Please don't tell me you're one of those people that imagine Africa as one big jungle :blink:

No Ive been there a few times actually..even had to bail out the chutes of a burning DC10 in Lusaka..! I forgot your from SA..! Over the years since I was an assistant on film Ive seen a steady deterioration of working conditions . to the point where gear/time is expected to be free !! try asking an tradesman that you will only pay for the tools they use.. or they must use yours ! .. there was great video going around showing what we are asked to do .. set in other industries.. and you see how totally out of control its gotten.. its really a great if not scary watch ..!

Edited by Robin R Probyn