Music Videos - The Industry

I am almost positive this topic has been answered by some of you veterans before, but I can't seem to find much information on work in the music video industry. I was just curious where the best places to look for work would be (i.e. location, prod. companies). Also, how loose is the industry as far as positions are concerned. Do specialized people often bounce between feature work, television and music videos? In a more concise question, what are the best ways to get started working on music videos post film school. If the best means be obtaining PA work, say so. Any past experience or tales will help. Thanks.

Mike R.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'm a student and know very little about the industry. I did meet a music video director at a festival once. I think he and his crew were making the rounds and handing out business cards and making contacts. He was (imho) not a very good director, all 40 of the videos he had made since his graduation from Duke University three years prior didn't seem inventive or well executed, from a storytelling perspective, but he had a superb crew that made his videos look like a million bucks.

So, I guess the answer is graduate from a first class private university and head over to L.A. when you're finished. Be a go-getter and make sure to have a top shelf crew to support you. If wanting to work on crew, then maybe just be "in the know" with folks in the area who make film/video projects and get involved with them... maybe they'll have a music video project come up and you'll be the person they turn to. I've worked on two hi-def music videos shot on the Varicam up in Indianapolis where I used to live and all because of just knowing the people who were making the videos. They weren't cash cows, but they were fun ways to get my feet wet. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Brian

Student

What do you want to do in the music videos industry?

Do you want to be a grip? Or an AD? Or perhaps a cinematographer?

All those crew positions (including PA jobs) are obtained

Almost exactly the same way they are in any other aspect of the film industry.

You apply they look at your resume or reel and they hire you...

Sometimes if you're lucky you get recommended.

Of course you've got to schmooze a bit but what job doesn't require that?

However to be a Music Video Director is a little different.

Brain's idea is close...it involves lots and lots of schmoozing.

The best way to become a Music Video Director is to shoot videos...

You have to be a bit inventive when you start...

Good videos make the rounds and other music people see them...

And then someone gets back to you and tells you they like the video you did

And then that's when you kiss ass...and try to land another video...

It helps to be in involved in the music industry...be hip go to the parties...

Meet any and every music promoter be known...be friends with bands and artist...

Because no unknown Music Video Director gets hire to do a good big job...

You have to work hard on your image and how people percieve you...

But the most important thing is to shoot videos...you have to shoot lots of videos

And make sure they get seen cause that's you're major business card...

And when you work with someone recognizable make sure everyone knows...

Because it helps when people know you did so & so videos

Everyone knows that the music industry is very fickle

You have to constantly be on people's mind to continue to keep working...

So even if you make a crappy video show it...it

And you wanna know the funny thing about music videos...

It's sometimes the wrost work you do that gets you noticed...

So if you want to Direct Music Videos--go out there and get into the big parties

Then tell then you're the hottest music video director. :)

• Premium Member

Believe me, "I'm not in the industry" like others are. I'm a college kid. I'm broke. But, I have lucked into some gigs before. Heck, I was even a day player as a sound mixer of all things on this little CMT show called "Popularity Contest" shooting here in town last fall.. anyways, my "career path" has been all over the map and really I'd like to get into music videos as well as a cinematographer.. but, in no way would I consider being a P.A./audio playback or behind-the-scenes editor on 2 projects in 3 years me being "in the industry" like others here are "in the industry" I'm the low guy on the totem pole and boy oh boy I sure wish I could afford (or justify financing) a film camera to pursue this career further, but that isn't seeming like a wise investment at the moment. Good luck getting into music videos. I hear they are a blast. Sigh.

Brian

Brian,

You don't have to OWN a camera to do music videos.

If for whatever reason you MUST own a camera here are a couple of thoughts:

1) Since music videos are shot MOS, a less expensive camera can be used. Lots of stuff is being "dumped" on eBay because of the so-called digital revolution.

2) Have you thought about pooling your resources with a couple of other people that are trying to start shooting and buying a camera? This can fly because chances are nobody is going to be shooting everyday and cameras that sit in closets don't do anybody any good.

an idea: get yourself on MySpace.com , a little-big community of "Friends" and acquaintances, but also a place for lots of bands trying to make a break in the scene. listen to their music, grab a track and make a video for them, or ask if they'd like one. I'm sure most of them will help you as much as they can in getting equipment, they'll help you get a camera, etc, but if you're willing to do the work, then you've got a large, willing and needy audience of people who need music vids, and a huge audience of (mostly) young people on MySpace who will see it... often times bands already have video material, they just dont have anybody to put them together.

just an idea. there's a few other sites like this with start-up musicians/bands who would love to get a video going... if you wanna get yourself known, and get your feet wet, this might be the easiest way to go... and give you something to send out on DVD/CD to other video producers to show them what you can do...

just thoughts.