Books on Gregg Toland

Guest fstop

The best stuff I have read has been the theory books by the likes of Kael- they suprisingly go into a lot of depth on Toland by way of Kane, but hit everything he did along the way too- I can't remember any names, I'm sorry I've been out of the loop with this for a while- I'd just go down to any arts library, head to the cinema theory section and get into the many books on Kane you can find there by Pauline Kael and the like-

there's also a really good chapter in one of the history of the movies books- hopefully I will inspire someone more resourceful to jot it down here- that covers Tolands dealing with SuperX b/w stocks and such on Kane.

• Premium Member

Toland himself wrote a pretty thorough article on shooting "Citizen Kane" that appeared in American Cinematographer (Feb. 1941); they later reprinted it a couple of times, once in the 1970's (April 1975), and once more later I think.

Most of the info is also in Robert L. Carringer's book "The Making of Citizen Kane" (UC Press) in the chapter on its cinematography. Probably the best thing you could read along with Toland's original article in AC.

Carringer's book lists all his sources for info on Toland's photography, including some other magazine articles from the time.

Toland himself wrote a pretty thorough article on shooting "Citizen Kane" that appeared in American Cinematographer (Feb. 1941); they later reprinted it a couple of times, once in the 1970's (April 1975), and once more later I think.

Another best article is GREG TOLAND a master cinematographer and his work , by George E Turner ......American cinematographer magazine ,nov 1982.

toland.jpg