Chiaroscuro and tenebroso

Such a short question may deserve a short answer. No. At least that's my thoght.

If chiaroscuro is the gradation of light and dark that may reveal form, or express character, then it exists within the other thing.

What was your position, your thought? Why begin this thread without expressing some ideas of your own?

Because im learning about both. The beginning of understanding the two terms doesnt seem the place for having a position, if thats what u meant. I heard Coppola referring in an interview to scenes in the Godfather as Chiaroscuro. Then in Caravaggio lighting which seemed to have pure black with no detail as tenebroso, so i was wondering what experienced cinematographers might say.

If i'm missing some etiquette forgive me. I know people mostly talk about specific technical situations here.

• Premium Member

This is the first time I really heard of the term "tenebroso", so it is not commonly used in cinematography, but the definition online basically describes it as a more extreme form of chiaroscuro so one could use the term chiaroscuro to describe Caravaggio (or Storaro). I'm more likely to hear the phrase "heavy chiaroscuro" than I am "tenebroso" to describe a strong form of chiaroscuro.

Is tenebrism just the extreme of Chiaroscuro, the falling off quickly to black?

I've rarely heard the term. But because I was an art major back in the olden days, I'm familiar with it... but in most non artschool circles you will just hear 'chiaroscuro', or even 'Rembrandt lighting', or something like that.

The google'd reference lists such 16-17th Century Italian painters as Caravaggio and Artemisia Gentileschi as examples. The italian word itself means 'dark'... so one could rightly think of 'noir'... a much more well known style in film.

Here is a painting by Artemesia. One will note the dark background super contrasted with the foreground elements to create a dramatic image. There is detail in the background, but this particular online image doesn't really show it...

jael-sisera.jpg

Edited by John E Clark