Looking for user manuals for ScanStation, FlashTransfer Choice, Xena

Guy Burns

RetroScan Test

As a test, I've had scanned on a RetroScan, ~650' of 8mm films ranging from 1930s -1970s. Just to dip my toes in the water to see what kind of results I got. The scans are okay, but I know they could be better.

Before I selected the business to do the scanning (a young bloke working from his art studio in Melbourne), I downloaded the RetroScan user manual, went through it in detail, then rang several businesses and asked questions. It soon became obvious that most of them hadn't read the manual as well as I had. Weren't aware of what certain settings did; had never bothered to change settings from the default; didn't know what the native resolution was. Only the young bloke in Melbourne seemed to be on top of everything.

Each and every business could churn through the reels, though. One fellow told me how lucrative it was. None of them, except the youngster in Melbourne, had any real concern about quality.

The Reel Thing

Well, the entire 1740 ft that I want scanned will soon be heading to a high-end scanner – but this time it's not a test. It's the reel thing (how's that for a pun) – and I want to be sure that the scanner operator actually knows what he's doing. I want the best that the machine has to offer.

So I want to go through the User Manuals to become familiar with how these machines work. I'm the sort of weirdo who actually reads manuals, word for word. Took me weeks to get through the Premiere manual.

Problem

Of the scanner manufacturers mentioned in the title of this thread, none provide User Manual downloads. If any readers have a User Manual for the ScanStation, FlashTransfer Choice, or Xena, and assuming that it's okay to do so, please gmail me a copy at gdburns. The manual won't be forwarded to anyone else.

Edited by Guy Burns

Manuals for those machines may only be reserved for owners. Rob and Perry who frequent this site very often know their respective machines through and through. Probably just as much as the engineers. I don't know much about the flash can but the Retro scan Universal seems to be a consumer-grade scanner however many bells and whistles it has. The scan station or the Xena are the only real data scanners worth spending your money on.

• Site Sponsor

Many advanced scan systems offer training and as software is updated a written manual becomes quickly obsolete It takes time and money to have a technical writing staff produce and maintain a manual DCS did an early one, it's totally useless now and I don't think i even have it. You would have to ask Perry or Lasergraphics about a Scan Station manual similar with the Kinetta or Flash scan.

When you scan film every day you get to know the machine inside and out, and make software requests which the manufacturer usually incorporates into the machine.

The manual for our DFT Spirit 2K is quite large, but big iron machines are kind of from another era.

Yeah- there's no manual to speak of for the ScanStation - some HTML files you get to from within the application that go over stuff like how to thread it. Really barebones, to be honest. Lasergraphics spends their time on software updates and improvements more than on manuals. As Rob said, you get training when you buy the machine.

Our 35mm Northlight manual is ok - similar to a typical software operators manual, but even that doesn't touch on a lot of stuff in the application and the scanner, all things you just learn how to do from sources other than a book...