1st shoot w/ RED Raven: "Allure" high-fashion beauty commercial

Roger Alexander

A few days ago, I did my first "real" test on my Raven with a victoria secret-esque beauty shoot as a personal project. Though I'm a director, I also wanted to showcase my DP abilities for hire as well as the slowmo capabilities of the camera. I shot the whole project at 4.5k at 60fps with some at 95 and 120fps, ISOs ranged from 640-1600 (and some at 2000). I really am impressed with the skin tones, lighting started to fall apart in the splashing scenes but the rest of it I'm happy with. Please let me know what you think and if you have critiques!

Please connect with me via Facebook & Instagram!

www.facebook.com/AlphaMaleVisuals

www.Instagram.com/A_M_Visuals

P.S. - off topic, I was not impressed at all with the test video that came from the new 8k helium sensor "Underdog". It didn't look much different from footage I have been getting from the Raven which is the entry level camera of the brand. I would expect the highest level unit of the brand (that costs a million times more) to blow the Raven away but I did not see that at all. Now who's ready to fight me? lol

post-69695-0-38139300-1470360485_thumb.jpg

post-69695-0-40077600-1470360490_thumb.jpg

post-69695-0-88127900-1470360495_thumb.jpg

post-69695-0-40598000-1470360502_thumb.jpg

post-69695-0-11023600-1470360509_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

P.S. - off topic, I was not impressed at all with the test video that came from the new 8k helium sensor "Underdog". It didn't look much different from footage I have been getting from the Raven which is the entry level camera of the brand. I would expect the highest level unit of the brand (that costs a million times more) to blow the Raven away but I did not see that at all. Now who's ready to fight me? lol

I thought the whole idea of making lower priced models is to get rid of the off-spec sensors which don't pass the flagship model's quality requirements. all the camera manufacturers do this with their models.

no wonder they all have about the same look, but signal/noise ratios and dynamic range may differ a bit. for example some FS7:s may be much noisier than F5 and have more variability between individual cameras than the manufacturer would allow for F5:s..

That said, the whole idea of making those test videos is to show that one can shoot SOMETHING useful with the camera and also (ideally but not always) to show the basic look of the camera. If the look does not differ much from the previous models it is completely understandable why one can't see much difference; one cannot judge dynamic range, signal/noise ratio, resolution or real world usability or even the base look with only youtube videos (or anything with worse than prores444/xq compression at native resolution and the whole used post process known with great detail. actually the only possible way is to shoot with the camera by yourself, only then you can know all the details needed to evaluate how it compares to everything else you can use instead of it)

Edited by aapo lettinen