Why did Kodak make 5230?

Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

So I just got a hold of a bunch of 5230, thinking it was some pre-vision stock. Yet I some to learn it's actually between vision 2 and vision 3.

So why did Kodak move away from the "vision" brand and make a straight 500T stock like this? Was it just old chemistry lying around they wanted to use or were there other reasons?

I saw a few videos on the subject, but every says "it's an INDY film stock"... but so is Vision 3... umm so confused.

• Premium Member

It was supposed to be a more affordable stock, using slightly older technology with a little more grain but I don't think the cost savings was enough to justify using "less than the best" stock available. Of course it had it's own look and that should drive stock choice more.

Kodak marketed it as a way for indies and lower budget projects to still use film and save money.

I used only a few times and didn't see much difference between it and 5218. Maybe it was leftover 5218 they sold when Vision 3 came out? :)

Make sure you test the stock just to know what it will do...I haven't had good luck with 500T film older than a few years. Almost anything is fixable by a colorist these days but if it has to match another stock you should know what you're getting into.

• Premium Member

I've been shooting 10 year old Fuji stock that's coming out great. I mostly shoot old stock because I can't afford to shoot new stuff. I'll do a clip test of one roll since it was all together and see what it comes out like. I've found Kodak to have much better stability over the long term then Fuji. So if the Fuji stuff looks/works fine, I assume the Kodak will as well.

Thanks for the info... it was just shocking to see the ol' 500T logo with no "vision" near the name and a 2012 production date.