Anyone ever work a fast food commercial?

Max Field

More set questions further indulging in my lower middle class American obsessions.

Obviously the food on that set looks nothing like what you'll get in the actual restaurant, but are those meals hand-crafted specifically for photographic purposes? Or is it all synthetic wax pieces with water dripped on them to assume the look of "freshness"?

I really want to believe there's a job in which there are 50 cheese burgers lined up for the sole purpose of a close-up.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Yes, they're specially made. In the US the person that does it is a called a Food Stylist, in the UK they're often called a Home Economist. They do the same job. I've shoot my fair share of food and it's a very serious and skilled position what these people do. They various tricks to make things look moist, fluffy, light, dripping, frosted etc.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

They also use the real client product. If they're shooting Big Macs, for example, McDonalds will ship cases and cases of their buns, burgers, sauce, lettuce and everything else that goes on a Big Mac to the production company. Then the food stylists or their assistants will spend a few days picking out the very best of everything and setting it aside. It's hard to find a bun with no cracks or dents. McDonalds actually provides their own lead food stylist as well for consistency. Then on the shoot days they will take however long it takes to build the perfect sandwich to shoot. And like Adam pointed out, if there's anything faked it's little tricks here and there like putting mashed potatoes between the back of the sandwich to keep the bun straight. Stuff like that.

Funny side note about McDonalds, they used to be very particular about the food looking absolutely perfect, which almost came off as fake looking. But now I notice they're much more rustic and natural (almost sloppy) in their approach which seems to be the style in table top food these days.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/full-menu/burgers.html

For me, one of the cool things about shooting table top food is the food stylists are usually accomplished chefs too, so if you're at all interested in cooking (which I am) you can get great tips all day.

• Upvote 1

burger.jpg?dl=0

Yeah you def need the burgers to be built carefully. I tried doing a food photography workshop with my students. The burgers we brought were a mess and it took the best bits of 3 burgers to get something semi acceptable. (see image)

Also stunk the studio out.

Need to find away to make the meat look more juicy, thin coat of syrup?

• Premium Member

I worked a Heinz 57 and A-1 steak sauce commercial/industrial, and all the food was real from what I recall. One of the shoots had a Popeye take on their product, and Wimpy from the Popeye comic strip was in a greasy spoon trying to mooch a burger or two. The flats had wax coated on them to make them look like they were coated with animal fat and grease. But again, the food was real.

I think the Japanese display food and pictures thereof in the local restaurants are wax mockups.

I've done a fair amount of food photography over the years. The general rule is that whatever you're advertising has to be the actual product. If it's ancillary, or a prop, it can be fake. The milk in a cereal bowl is often white glue, because it's only the cereal being advertised. Burgers require tedious placement of all the ingredients, in the amounts that you will actually be served. Stromboli is much more difficult! Vegetable oil or glycerin is used to add sheen, or sometimes heating with a hair dryer or heat gun helps.

Justin is right about the style changing. Traditionally the perfect placement of everything was the look, but you'll see more of the slightly imperfect setups , such as crumbs or imperfect buns, or burger stacked akilter.