LED lights

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience using LED lights? It seems to me that compared to some of the smaller kino flos that the LED lights have countless advantages. What are all your thoughts on LEDS?

• Premium Member

Hi,

...and just not that good. Why does everyone think they're so great? They're less efficient than fluorescent and the spectrum is very strange indeed, with a huge blue spike. Most effective when you need a very very small light source; beyond that, what's the point?

Phil

Sneak peek at something very affordable and very much more realistic and usable than what is out there today.

http://www.bluesky-web.com/big-eye-preview.htm

And if you are attending EXPO in NYC in July, check out my instruction page.

looks interesting, more infos ?

Phil: well if youre after a bluish look then thei are pretty cool. besides, they dont need that much power, no time to heat up, they dont get hot, you can have them close to the subject. i think those are quite important positive things about leds.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> they dont need that much power,

They're less efficient than fluorescent, or even the best tungsten (such as an MR-16).

> they dont get hot

Yes they most certainly do! Have you seen the 15W Luxeon junctions? And I'd encourage you to look at the heatsink on the back of the Litepanels 1x1ft device.

Phil

• Premium Member
Sneak peek at something very affordable and very much more realistic and usable than what is out there today.

http://www.bluesky-web.com/big-eye-preview.htm

And if you are attending EXPO in NYC in July, check out my instruction page.

Hi Walter,

Welcome to the lists, I am sure you will have some great input!

Stephen Williams DoP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member

I've been involved with LEDS and designing applications for the last six years. I even share a utility patent. Right now LEDs have limited applications. LEDs will be more practical when emitter designs change so more output per mv can be achieved. Right now careful design with computer designed reflectors and lenses are the best options. This talk of heat and all is nice but giving up quality light for heat is a gimmick. Any $60 on camera incandescent blows away LED lights that cost 10 times as much. Just like with 24p which is a gimmick that makes folks think they are movie makers, folks think that cool looking lights will make them better at what they do. But formats and equipment are commodities and mean little. It's about human knowledge. Thats what makes someone an artist, not a brush.