Can 1080p project onto a large screen for a festival?

David Edward Keen

Ir would be the compression and line skipping on your camera's sensor that could cause issues, rather than it being 1080p. 2k has a vertical resolution of 1080 and the chances are that the projector at the festival is 2k, rather than 4k.

If the Rebel T3i is the best camera you can afford, shoot on it, just avoid situations that take you into the darker aspects of its performance..

• Upvote 1

1080p is no problem. The Rebel T3i might be. It will look ok (but not as sharp as you'd expect from 1080p) until the line skipping shows up on a shot (think window blinds), and then not so good. I've seen many shorts at festivals shot on Canon DSLR cameras so you can get away with it if you have to.

• Upvote 1

ok cool...i learned omething even just reading this, including what i dont yet understand about just what this line-skipping thing is. I'll look it up.

It's all i got now, but im buying a computer, a PC, and I wanna set it up for a Black Magic camera ---or something better than the T3i...in time.

Any place i can find out more about just what are those darker realms of the T3i as applies to this issue?

thanks!

1080p is no problem. The Rebel T3i might be. It will look ok (but not as sharp as you'd expect from 1080p) until the line skipping shows up on a shot (think window blinds), and then not so good. I've seen many shorts at festivals shot on Canon DSLR cameras so you can get away with it if you have to.

How to avoid this situation, other than avoiding the camera? How to avoid the situation in which would arise the line-skipping in a shot? Or is it random and unpredictable?

ah yes i think i found some examples on youtube...ok well i'm more a rookie in film making and with all the things i'm trying to put together, i think it's cool to be happy with my T3i for now...concentrate on training and learning other aspects. But at some point the type of camera will become more relevant at a higher level.

Thanks for the info though it's very helpful!

• Premium Member

I think you should just concentrate on making the best film you can with the equipment you have. A well-made film with interesting characters and a great script will attract plenty of interest at film festivals, even if there are some technical problems.

To get the most out of your camera, you need to shoot with it as much as possible and learn its quirks. Keep shooting and improving, and eventually you will reach a point where you need a better camera to do the things you want to do. But right now, it's more important that you master framing, exposure, camera movement, lighting, blocking, coverage, and editing. And you can do all of those things with a T3i.

• Upvote 1