LED Flame/Fire Effect

Looking to purchase a new LED lighting kit and one of the first jobs will require a "flame/fire flicker" effect. Supposed to simulate a campfire. LiteGear has an ok dimmer with this F/X but not sure if the stand alone unit will work other brands of LED lights. Can anybody in the know recommend a LED panel kit other than LiteGear that has this effect?

Many thanks

It's not so much about the lights as the control. Pretty much any LED fixture (or conventional) can do a flame chase if the controller can do it. Magicgadgets can do it with conventional dimmers (or dimmable LED) . Any moving light DMX system can do a flicker chase, but the REAL cool effects are when you can use any RGB or greater fixtures as "pixels" and feed actual video of fire into the "screen" you've pixel-mapped. I've done this using 8x cheap DJ wash lights and a simple (free) media server - playing video of actual fire. It's a very realistic effect. Most moving light board mfg offer some simple media server, I use Chamsys, and the learning curve isn't easy but it's worth it for the control you can get even on Skypanels to be able to fine-tune the parameters of the fx.

Visited FilmTools yesterday hoping to find a solution. Checked out the Skypanel, Adrian. Seems the have every F/X imaginable and then some. But they are far too pricey. I hope to stay in the $1500 range for a single panel. Litegear has the Litemat S2 series that comes with all sorts of accessories including a dimmer with built in gags, such a Fire/flame. Very tempting but I was not at all impressed with the build quality. Feels very cheap.

• Premium Member

Whenever I've needed things like this, I've built it, but I appreciate that may not suit everyone. With basic LEDs, you can modulate the brightness just by winding the input power up and down. DMX is also doable if you have a DMX-controllable device.

P

• Premium Member

I was SUPER impressed by the all of the new lighting gags built into the v3 firmware for the Skypanels. That'd probably be my first choice for these sorts of things now. You don't have to buy the light, just rent it for the nights that you need the flame gag for. The Skypanels are in pretty much every light house out there now. So they should be really easy to source.

• Premium Member

Joe, I think th build of the lite-mat is actually one of it's best selling points as you can put it anywhere. And aside from the slight annoyance of having to re-screw the cable, which takes moments when/if it ever goes out on set (and is kinda useful for if you need to fabricate something crazy on the fly on set) i haven't seen any issues with build.

Visited FilmTools yesterday hoping to find a solution. Checked out the Skypanel, Adrian. Seems the have every F/X imaginable and then some. But they are far too pricey. I hope to stay in the $1500 range for a single panel. Litegear has the Litemat S2 series that comes with all sorts of accessories including a dimmer with built in gags, such a Fire/flame. Very tempting but I was not at all impressed with the build quality. Feels very cheap.

Joe, I think th build of the lite-mat is actually one of it's best selling points as you can put it anywhere. And aside from the slight annoyance of having to re-screw the cable, which takes moments when/if it ever goes out on set (and is kinda useful for if you need to fabricate something crazy on the fly on set) i haven't seen any issues with build.

I agree with Adrian, the litegear litemat is pretty excellent. Seems flimsy, but is actually quite robust and trustworthy. Great output and color as well.

Hello Adrian and AJ, I am definitely giving the LiteGear another look. If fact I'm pretty close to buying their LiteMat 2.

Edited by Joe Taylor