best cam for 34mm, 24fps?

Luis E Curbelo

Hello,

I think you mean 35mm film, I would say that the best Mini DV camera for trying achieve a 35mm-like look is the XL2, but remember the most important thing for good looking DV is lighting, so footage from a DVX100 lit in the right way looks way better than footage from an XL2 badly lit.

Both cameras are good, but for me the XL2 has a slight edge, it also has slightly better resolution in 16:9 mode than the DVX100.

Cheers.

Tomas.

• Premium Member
Does anyone know the best DV Cam to use that comes close to 34mm, 24fps, 16:9? I have been using the DVX100, but I wanted to know if anyone knows of something better.

(I guess you mean "35mm"?)

Currently, the top of the line DV _tape_ camcorders are the new Sony DSR-450WSL and the Panasonic SDX-900. Both are fullsize, shoulder-mount standard definition DV camcorders with three 16:9 2/3" CCDs. Both use industry-standard removable lenses, which can be either SD or HD quality glass. Both can record in 24p, 30p and 60i modes (or, in the PAL versions, 25p & 50i modes.)

The DSR-450WSL records at 25 megabits per second in the DV or DVCAM format. The SDX-900 can record in 25 mbs DVCPRO mode and also 50 mbs DVCPRO-50 mode (resulting in higher quality compared to 25 mbs.)

There's detailed information on these camcorders on their manufacturer's websites.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Hey

What do you guys think of the Sony HDR-FX1? Someone highly recommended this camera to me.

I'm in the same situation as Luis in the sense that I'm looking for the dv camera that most accurately captures an HD image. The dvx-100A is a great camera, but I want something that looks more polished and professional than 24p.

Thanks a lot.

Oh, sorry.

I think I didn't expressively mention I;m looking for a mini-dv, consumer camera. Took a look at the cameras Peter had mentioned in the above post and saw they were way out of my price range!

Thanks - hope I'm not cramping your post topic, Luis.

The Sony HDV camera only captures interlaced-scan, which is fine if you're not interested in a film look.

I'm not sure why 24P isn't professional or polished!

Oh, by no means am I dissing 24p, the stuff looks great. But a guy whose shot a few things on the Sony HDV camera told me that you can shoot a variation of HD on it, whereas the DVX has the capability of 24p and nothing more. I was led to understand that the look of the Sony was more film like.

I think I'm gonna need you to shoot these music videos for me, Mr. Mullen. (loved the look of Northfork by the way ;) )

• Premium Member

Don't confuse 24P with HDTV. 24P just means "24 frames per second, progressive-scan". HDTV means it has more resolution than NTSC or PAL.

You can shoot 24P/25P/30P on standard def or HD cameras, and you can shoot 60i / 50i on standard def or HD cameras. Those cameras may be professional, prosumer, or consumer.

The Sony HDV camera has more resolution than a standard def camera, so the image will have more details on a big screen. But the motion rendition is classic video because it shoots interlaced-scan -- so the image looks like classic video just sharper.

The camera has a fake progressive-scan feature called CineFrame but most people don't like the way it looks. And you can't use it for a transfer to film.

24P emulates the way that a 24 fps film camera captures motion. But a 24P consumer SD camera like the DVX100 will be lacking in resolution compared to an HD camera or to film.

So unless you shoot in 24P HD, your choice would be either the 24P film look but less resolution, as with the DVX100, or the greater resolution but lack of film look with the Sony HDV camera.

Other than actually shooting in film, if you want a film look AND better quality, more resolution, and the pro HD cameras like the Sony F900 or Panasonic Varicam are not an option, then you should either try one of the 24P pro SD cameras like the Panasonic SDX900 or Sony DSR-450WSL -- or if even those are too expensive, wait for one of the 24P HD consumer cameras to soon hit the market like the JVC 100HD or the Panasonic HVX200.

Don't confuse 24P with HDTV. 24P just means "24 frames per second, progressive-scan". HDTV means it has more resolution than NTSC or PAL.

You can shoot 24P/25P/30P on standard def or HD cameras, and you can shoot 60i / 50i on standard def or HD cameras. Those cameras may be professional, prosumer, or consumer.

The Sony HDV camera has more resolution than a standard def camera, so the image will have more details on a big screen.  But the motion rendition is classic video because it shoots interlaced-scan -- so the image looks like classic video just sharper.

The camera has a fake progressive-scan feature called CineFrame but most people don't like the way it looks.  And you can't use it for a transfer to film.

24P emulates the way that a 24 fps film camera captures motion.  But a 24P consumer SD camera like the DVX100 will be lacking in resolution compared to an HD camera or to film.

So unless you shoot in 24P HD, your choice would be either the 24P film look but less resolution, as with the DVX100, or the greater resolution but lack of film look with the Sony HDV camera.

Other than actually shooting in film, if you want a film look AND better quality, more resolution, and the pro HD cameras like the Sony F900 or Panasonic Varicam are not an option, then you should either try one of the 24P pro SD cameras like the Panasonic SDX900 or Sony DSR-450WSL -- or if even those are too expensive, wait for one of the 24P HD consumer cameras to soon hit the market like the JVC 100HD or the Panasonic HVX200.

like always you have great advice Mullen, thank you a million