Sigma zoom vs Rokinon cine DS primes

Eric Soto

Hey everyone. So I have a budget of about $1500-1700. I am looking to buy a tele lens and I was first going to go with the sigma 70-200 2.8 but I was then looking into the Rokinon Cine DS primes and saw that I could get a 135 and 14 for less than the sigma. I shoot on a 5d mrk3 and will mainly be using this for music videos, live events such as bands and weddings. Does anyone have experience with these? I'm not sure which I should go with. I am also open to any other options of brands. But I am mainly looking for a good tele lens zoom or prime. Thanks everyone!

Edited by Eric Soto

Hey Eric,

I do not have experience with the Sigma zoom but I do have it with the Rokinon. Personally what I feel like to suggest you, it’s not to compare the two types of lenses here, but the use you may have for them. If you work more on a guerrilla type of filmmaking, live events and such, I’d definitely go for 70-200 Sigma zoom. You won’t have to change between focal lenghts with the risk you may miss some of the action that can be interesting to shoot, plus the Sigma is quite fast as a lens, being it a zoom, and opens up to 2.8, so no bad!

If you but the 14 and the 135 Rokinon primes what about all the focal lenght in between, which you may want to use a lot?

I recently shot for a weeding, and put on a zoom lens (24-70), I found I never had to switch to a different lens than another zoom (70-300).

Again, it’s just my feeling, for the use you do, you may want to go for the zoom :)

cheers,

Stefano

Hey Stefano, Well I already have a 24-70 2.8 and it covers most of my needs except for the need for the tele. I love shooting ultra wide especially when filming musicians so that's why I'm tilting towards the Rokinon lenses. But I have used the Sigma and it's great. But I think would be fine with the 135 Rokinon prime. I just want to make sure I'm getting the most i can with my budget

• Premium Member

I use the Sigma 70-200/2.8 ex dg hsm II a lot, I like it much more than the rokinok lenses though it breathes a bit so i dont recommend it for shots where you need to pull focus. It is also not parfocal but that wasnt absolutely needed in your use?

Hey everyone. So I have a budget of about $1500-1700. I am looking to buy a tele lens and I was first going to go with the sigma 70-200 2.8 but I was then looking into the Rokinon Cine DS primes and saw that I could get a 135 and 14 for less than the sigma. I shoot on a 5d mrk3 and will mainly be using this for music videos, live events such as bands and weddings. Does anyone have experience with these? I'm not sure which I should go with. I am also open to any other options of brands. But I am mainly looking for a good tele lens zoom or prime. Thanks everyone!

If you can't answer this question for yourself, then perhaps don't spend the money? Save the money until you feel a burning need - that will be the piece of gear to buy?

Edited by David Mawson

If you can't answer this question for yourself, then perhaps don't spend the money? Save the money until you feel a burning need - that will be the piece of gear to buy?

(Also, it would help to know what lenses you already have...)

Well that seems strange that you think that if I can't decide on which tele lens I want because I know I need one then that means that I shouldn't buy the lens? I need a telephoto lens I just don't know which would benefit my need more and I figured you guys might have some insight on which one of the two you guys liked and why. I have a 24-70 2.8 and 50 1.8.

Well that seems strange that you think that if I can't decide on which tele lens I want because I know I need one then that means that I shouldn't buy the lens? I need a telephoto lens I just don't know which would benefit my need more

But how can anyone know your needs better than you do? For event shooting, the zoom is the obvious answer - so obvious that you must have a reason for not buying it automatically. So the 24mm must have some value to you, based on your shooting style and the conditions you shoot in. Which you know and no one else here does. No one else can really make this decision for you - it's not like asking which of two lenses of the same fl are better. Or even asking what fl lenses you should have to cover a football game, because that's a highly defined task. "Event shooting" is much vaguer and "music video making" even more so.

Edited by David Mawson

But how can anyone know your needs better than you do? For event shooting, the zoom is the obvious answer - so obvious that you must have a reason for not buying it automatically. So the 24mm must have some value to you, based on your shooting style and the conditions you shoot in. Which you know and no one else here does. No one else can really make this decision for you - it's not like asking which of two lenses of the same fl are better. Or even asking what fl lenses you should have to cover a football game, because that's a highly defined task. "Event shooting" is much vaguer and "music video making" even more so.

I told you guys what my needs are. I need a telephoto lens and I just want some advice PURELY based on budget. And yes obviously the zoom is ideal for event shooting BUT the original question I asked puts into context my budget and getting the most out of it. I am not asking anyone to make any decision for me, like I said in my last reply which seems like you did not read but I will clarify again I am asking for peoples experience with the lenses just so I can make the decision myself. And i did not use term " event shooting " i said "live event" which yes would be more suitable for zooms because of the quick changing nature of what I would be shooting. " music video making" as you put it is much different, I have much more time plan therefore a prime might benefit me more in that situation. HENCE the reason for me not being able to quickly point my finger to a certain tele lens and just choose. I'd rather ask people have more experience than me on which tele lens they've tried and liked better so I can choose myself more effectively where to spend my money. You are making this for more complicated than it needs to be. Have you used either the Rokinon Cine DS lenses ( 14, 135, any fl really) or the Sigma 70-200? IF you have GREAT, I want to know your experience with them. Thats it bud.

I don't think the 14 covers the sensor of the 5d; just fyi. And personally, in stills lenses I'd but the prime 135 Rok. If we were looking at the sigma cine zooms, though then a zoom would be better if it's a "cine zoom"

I think it does but I will double check. And unfortunately I looked into those sigma cine zooms but they are outside my budget.