Variable ND filters - wrongly marked stops....

• Premium Member

I have a TIFFEN and a SYRP variable ND filter and BOTH are wrongly marked for stops as far as my metre is concerned....checked against my friends metre and he concurs....is this normal that they send out product wrongly marked for stops???? I have a Sekonic L858U and a Gossen mastersix...

...I need to use variable ND filters cos if not I would have to spend loads of money on matte boxes, etc etc etc and filter sets which id rather use to buy film stock etc

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

I wouldn't bet on a variable ND filter being accurate really. it's kinda a what you see is what you get type thing; rotating it till you get what you like as it works on the idea of crossed pola filters i can't think of it really being "exact" but is generally good enough.

personally I am not a fan of them, though some really rave about them, and tend to stick to renting the proper NDs for whatever mattebox the camera comes with.

when it comes to FILM shooting, you really can't get by without proper, accurate, NDs. The variable stuff is very much so video-centric IMHO.