Simulating Campfire Lighting

Joe Taylor

Will be shooting a campfire scene that takes place in a shallow cove. Will have a small fire that serves as the key lighting source but will need to augment the campfire with LED lights. If anybody has any experience with a similar lighting arrangement, can you advise how you lit your scene and especially what gel filters you used?

I tend to use small tungsten units with Full CTS, some dimmed down, others on flicker boxes, for fire effects. Are you using LEDs because of a lack of power at your location? If so, what LEDs are you planning to use? I've been using the Quasar Science Q-Line battery powered tubes a lot recently, and I really like them.

Hey Stuart. Indeed, the location is deep in the desert. LED's with v-Mounts. For this shoot I'll be using ikans. We did a test last night and the fire produced the desired flicker. I'm bouncing a full-straw LED off the ceiling left of the fire for fill. Then using an blue gelled LED for rim/moon light. Also backlights the smoke for a nifty effect.

Giving the link a look now, Igor. Many thanks.

• Premium Member

If you want to spend a bit more money; you can get the new litegear lite-mat 2s which run off of battery and have a really nice firefx box.
another option is a skypanel S30 which, you could power off of a block battery and I believe has the same FXs as the S60 (though truth be told i've never used the S30).

My favorite; though is generally tungsten lights through a flickerbox, often a few china-balls with 250W bulbs in them and appropriate gels, or sometimes the 22" Jem Balls with 1000W or 500W globes- though if you're away from power thats a no-go

Something else to think about; depending on how close your cars are, is running off of an inverter.