How to achieve this Blue effect

mailesan

• Premium Member

It's very organic so I don't think it is one technique, the camera seems to have different things over part of the frame to blur it. It could be a light smear of vaseline but I doubt it, the streaks are too straight, so it could be some piece of very light veil over part of the lens, or the edge of some glass element (like part of a pair of eyeglasses or some other glass) or a piece of glass or plastic block angled so the cut edge is reflecting some of the scene, etc. It's all very delicate though so it would take some testing to work it all out. There are some plastic motion streak filters like by Cokin that could do these effects but they tend to be more heavy-handed. You're just going to have to experiment.

• 2 weeks later...

It's very organic so I don't think it is one technique, the camera seems to have different things over part of the frame to blur it. It could be a light smear of vaseline but I doubt it, the streaks are too straight, so it could be some piece of very light veil over part of the lens, or the edge of some glass element (like part of a pair of eyeglasses or some other glass) or a piece of glass or plastic block angled so the cut edge is reflecting some of the scene, etc. It's all very delicate though so it would take some testing to work it all out. There are some plastic motion streak filters like by Cokin that could do these effects but they tend to be more heavy-handed. You're just going to have to experiment.

Thank you David :)

Bruno Aveillan is known for this style and as far as I know uses split diopters and possibly a prism to achieve this look.

I remember hearing from someone who has worked with him that he has a collection of bits of glass & plastic, mirrors, and all manner of other translucent objects that he uses.

I've messed around with similar looks in the past, and got some interesting images from shooting through an empty plastic water bottle and a clear plastic spoon.

I remember hearing from someone who has worked with him that he has a collection of bits of glass & plastic, mirrors, and all manner of other translucent objects that he uses.

I've messed around with similar looks in the past, and got some interesting images from shooting through an empty plastic water bottle and a clear plastic spoon.

Yeah, I have a bunch of different kinds of clear glassware I got from thrift stores that I use when there's time & a need for it.