Favorite Opening Credit Sequence

Sean Azze

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tina Coggins

Keith, thank you for expanding and explaining; it is appreciated.

I, too, like technology -- heck, one of my favorite pastimes is digital art, and I'm also a web designer. And it's why I tried computer animation. I think it can be very cool, and when done well, it can add to a film, or be great on its own (like the Incredibles movie you're watching now). I have to say, though, that sometimes it detracts, and sometimes it's just horrid: reference, Final Fantasy, the movie. Ultimately, in my opinion, I do prefer traditional cell animation, maybe because I grew up on it, and maybe because it speaks to the traditional artist in me even more than CGI speaks to the digital artist in me.

In the end, as realistic as it can look at times, as totally cool as it can be at creating something that could never be captured in real life, and as fun as it can be in features like Monsters, Inc., et al, it will never be able to replecate the sultry, redolent images audiences can luxuriate in while sitting in front of the big screen, watching something like, say, Darius Khondji's hypnotic work in STEALING BEAUTY. And honestly, for that I am glad.

I was thinking how much I love the opening credits to the Coen Brothers' "The Big Lebowski" (shot by Roger Deakins). 

From the moment when a blank screen covered in bowling alley symbols opens up to reveal the back of a set of 10 bowling pins, I knew I was in for something fun.

I love the ECU of the ashtrays, the score cards, and the air vents.  The shallow focus shot of the stereotypical bowler's gut waving in celebration of a strike is truly hilarious.  And who could forget that tracking shot of a ball rolling down the lane right to the very end (seamlessly accomplished using some sort of remote control car if I remember correctly)

Oh, and the music kicks ass.  A song so fitting for the scenario, you can imagine it playing over the loudspeaker of the alley.

Definitely my favorite opening credit sequence.

I really liked "The Village" opening credits (also shot by Roger Deakins)

• 4 weeks later...
This was actually designed by Robert Brownjohn, Binder's assistant. Brownjohn also designed the titles for Goldfinger, which, incidentally, were photographed by David Watkin!

I am not a big fan of Binder's titles, they are horribly crude and smutty when they should be sexy and suggestive. The dayglo party poppers in the A VIEW TO A KILL title sequence are always refered to as an all time Bond low,binder_avtak7.jpg

while the bubbles and open ladies legs of the THUNDERBALL titles were all too easily sent up by Weird Al Yonkovic for Leslie Nielsen spoof SPY HARD.

binder_tb5.jpg

What was Binder thinking here?:binder_mr5.jpg

Oh, and can anybody tell me what Sheena Easton was doing in the opening credits of FOR YOUR EYES ONLY??!!:binder_fyeo3.jpg

I much prefer Brownjohn's work, and also Daniel Kleinman's digital opening credits to the Brosnan Bond movies. And that's some feat, given that there hasn't been one GOOD Brosnan Bond title song! Kleinman is more intelligent with abstraction and montage imagery, and he can keep the ladies fully clothed yet have them scream sexuality with more class than Binder ever knew.

North By Northwest is a big favourite title sequence of mine. I also really like Lawrence cleaning his bike on Lawrence of Arabia.

It's funny this thread has popped up, because unfortunately nowadays filmmakers are encouraged not to pride their titles in the spectacular fashion of SUPERMAN, instead relegating them exclusively to the end credits! For everything it got right, the new Batman movie didn't have a title sequence- it didn't even tell you the name of the film until the end credits!! It's funny, because not long ago everyone was having those jittery, scratchy, largely unreadable "Imaginary Forces" title sequences that looked like something from a Nine Inch Nails video (think Se7en, Ally McBeal, Blade, etc):

seventitle.jpg

Obviously you havent watched the Kleinman titles sequences lately. Goldeneye for one has plenty of naked women and it is an outrageous claim that the Maurice Binder titles are smutty. I think you should also know that Binder shot all the sequences himself, which is much more than Kleinman can say. I like the new title sequences, but Binder had all these things in his head that no computer could do for him. When you work with optical printers, you have to do things right the first time, there is no undo button. and a team of the best digital effects people. Also do your homework and look at Binder's other title sequences, you may learn something.