Sony F55 or Sony FS7 in 2019.

Harshad V. Gaikwad

Hi All,

I’m about to shoot a fiction in upcoming days. And the camera options provide to me are Sony F55 or Sony FS7 M1.

We would we shooting prores due to budget constraints in post. Hence I needed your inputs on which one should I select. I understand that the Sony F55 has its advantages with global shutter and raw recording with R5 extension.  However as we would be primarily shooting prores, should I select F55 or FS7. 

Thanks,

H

Edited by Harshad V. Gaikwad

• Premium Member

The F55 is better in every way. Colour, motion cadence (due to that lovely global shutter), evf, ergonomics. 

There’s a reason no one has shot $100+ million TV series on the FS7. The F55 has done a bunch of them. 

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/11/2023 at 1:14 AM, Robert Turgeon said:

Wanting a more serious entry into video shooting... Seriously contemplating the Sony F55..... Used of course. What is the lifetime of that camera advertised to be and when it is aged too much can it be sent in to basically get  (in car terms) an engine rebuild.....

I think the word you were looking for was overhaul. What did you end up getting? I'm likely to pull trigger on a F55.