Best Tripods

Jonathan Bryant

The most popular head in the industry for 35mm, HD, etc. has been the O'Connor Ultimate. Probably overkill for a lightweight video camera though.

Yeah I believe thats what they were using on the commercial shoot I did with a Cinealta camera. Those are bigger than my head. lol

Yeah so I guess what is a good head/tripod upgrade for my SONY DSR-500? I have a Bogen 3066 head and 3191 legs right now. Though we need another tripod and I believe there are smoother heads out there.

I try to have two tripods with me. One smaller to get into tight corners like the Sachtler 20 Plus and a bigger one like the 75HD which is a pita to carry around but comparable to the large O´Connors which are pretty expensive to rent around here.

Just bought a used Mitchell geared head and find that nothing compares to that in precision on one hand and bulkiness on the other.

Guest Adam L

For a smaller camera, like a dvx with mattebox, etc, what would you recommend, for something that has a professional-level feel. I've tried the bogens and lower-end sachtler (dv4?)and was disappointed.

• Premium Member

I really love the O'Connor 1040B head. It's a true fluid head unlike a Sachtler which uses fluid modules. Most Panther heads use modules too, but the X15 doesn't and I find it is a very fine fluid head, comperable to the 1040B, but I havent used it in production.

The Tiffen Vision 3 is a good tripod for a 1/3" camera. It's lightweight and quite cheap. But DO NOT buy it for a 2/3" camera. Then it's way too light.

Otherwise, for a 2/3" camera I'd never go for anything lesser than a Sachtler 18. These are quite expensive, but believe me, in the long run, these are the ones you want.

I have a Manfrotto 519 that I use with DV and SD cameras and I love it. Supports a max payload of 22 lbs. As stated above though, a heavier head such as the O'Connors mentioned or a Cartoni Sigma would be better for larger HD or film cams.

Edited by Matt Irwin