Ways to mimic a gun muzzle flash?

Shooting during the day (gloomy) or during dusk exterior and am looking to recreate the muzzle flash from a gun shot. 2 different shots. The camera will be from outside the car and the gun shot happens inside the car. The other will be from within the car. I noticed in the sample below that the gun flash doesn't have that wide of an illumination radius when I freeze the frame, it lightly hits his face and his tshirt- or am I missing something? I'm just thinking that a bare bulb will flood the entire frame as if I had just fired an on camera flash. 

Sample: (@12:30) 

• Premium Member

What a fantastic film, thanks for sharing!

How wide will your shots be? What color temp do you need the light to be? And how bright do you need the flash to be in the day exterior scene? I would think it would read a lot better at dusk/night.

• Premium Member

The gun flash would light up in the direction the gun is pointed, less so back onto the shooter so it just depends on where the gun is pointed.  If the car windows are a little fogged up, I don't think it matters, just do an orange flash, but you could blackwrap the flash in one direction so it isn't 360 degrees.

I remember getting a bunch of gunshot samples of Detonation Films way back like 12 years ago. I use them in quick projects every now and then. No one notices the low res when it's only there for 4 frames, though I have to put some filters on them to really get a nice pop.

The angled flash suggested by @David Mullen ASC is great if you want actual control and a super crisp look (whether the effect is added in post or on set). I'm just wondering if something that's only a couple frames fast would need a global shutter to be captured.

Wouldn't rule out that effect being done in post entirely, I know some After Effects guys are super meticulous with adding spill light.