• Premium Member

You all know that I hate reels but after much consideration I ended up making one. 

Now, I have no idea whether is good or not but I do think that it is tailored to narrative work and maybe it would help somebody when cutting their reel!
It took me 4 months to find the song I thought that represented me a bit and cutting the reel has been a great way to realise even more that I just want to shoot wonderful human stories instead of commercials. 

Also.. I just graduated from college (believe it or not ??)

Edited by Miguel Angel
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

• Premium Member

Nice reel Miguel! I think you’re right, finding the right music is the hardest part. Also just cutting down your best work to 2min is difficult. I like the focus on narrative, since that’s what you want to do.

It gets a little same-same towards the 3/4 point, personally I would like to see some wider day exteriors at that point. But that may just be me. You’re personal style certainly comes thru. Congrats on graduating!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
On 9/17/2020 at 2:35 PM, Manu Delpech said:

This looks fantastic. Tons of new footage from The Tattoo as well ^^ I want to see the whole thing.  And congrats on college ! 

Thanks Manu, there is just one new clip from The Tattoo on the reel though! ? 

On 9/17/2020 at 6:58 PM, Satsuki Murashige said:

Nice reel Miguel! I think you’re right, finding the right music is the hardest part. Also just cutting down your best work to 2min is difficult. I like the focus on narrative, since that’s what you want to do.

It gets a little same-same towards the 3/4 point, personally I would like to see some wider day exteriors at that point. But that may just be me. You’re personal style certainly comes thru. Congrats on graduating!

Thank you Satsuki!
I might agree with you on the wider day exteriors shots. 

Let me explain the reason why I didn't put them there. 
- I have a wide exterior shot (in black & white though) at the beginning of the reel with a lot of people and some action in the shot happening. 
- I wanted to keep the projects together and I was thinking about putting the following shot in the part where "IF" is:IF_1_1.6.2.thumb.jpg.c6dd9bc90f125ed786a6227acf0166cf.jpg

But I don't think that it is nice enough!
- Now, I have a lot of day exterior shots in commercials and I thought about putting some together at the end of the reel, but then it wouldn't have been just focused on narrative projects (I reckon!) I might be wrong though!

Regarding music, my initial thought about it was to use this music (from this point to the end)

https://youtu.be/lEMIKBiDHeo?t=86

I cut a reel with that music and I thought that it was REALLY good, my friends told me that the music was too much and didn't match the images nor the passion I have when I take on a project though. 
If I still have a working file of that reel I'll upload it so anybody who is looking to cut their reel can take a look at it and see the start of the project and the end! ? 

Well, let's see if my reel works and I end up shooting a feature or a tv series because of it! 

? 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That makes a lot of sense to me. My only thought is, does it really matter if there’s one or two shots from a commercial project if it shows something you can do that the narrative projects don’t show? 

If you were to label the individual projects with a title card, then I think your strict approach is necessary. But as it is, it might be ok to bend it since it’s not clear where one project ends and another starts. And it will show directors and producers a wider gamut of what you can do. Anyway, just my .02! 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/19/2020 at 7:09 PM, Satsuki Murashige said:

That makes a lot of sense to me. My only thought is, does it really matter if there’s one or two shots from a commercial project if it shows something you can do that the narrative projects don’t show? 

If you were to label the individual projects with a title card, then I think your strict approach is necessary. But as it is, it might be ok to bend it since it’s not clear where one project ends and another starts. And it will show directors and producers a wider gamut of what you can do. Anyway, just my .02! 

Fair points! I might think about putting them in!

On 9/19/2020 at 7:14 PM, Satsuki Murashige said:

I think your friends are right about the music choice, it’s a bit overwhelming. I think what you have now complements your images better, letting them be the star of the show, so to speak.

I think so as well.. it is very difficult to part with pre-established ideas that work in your head though.

Thanks!!! ? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/4/2021 at 11:03 AM, Joel Andersson said:

Looks great man! I love that you fully have embraced the upstage-lightning. Im in the same boat as you ?

Thanks so much Joel!  
Upstage lighting is the best lighting! ? (although not the right one all the time!)
I didn't even know that it was a thing.. until Mr. Morris Flam taught me so in a course I did!

I learnt to light with Mo Flam! He is an amazing gaffer and a great tutor. 

On 4/4/2021 at 3:58 PM, David Sekanina said:

The images are gorgeous ! love it, great work!

Many thanks David! ? 

• Premium Member
On 4/17/2021 at 12:46 AM, Stephen Sanchez said:

Lovely work Miguel. I agree with Satsuki on more daylight stuff.

Thanks Stephen! 
That might be the goal for the next reel in a couple of years! ?