Dehancer OFX film emulation plugin

Anfisa Zelentsova

While Dehancer 5.1 failed to deliver on its promise of double the performance over version 5.0, Dehancer 5.2.0 brings it on with a new quality selector, allowing the user to choose between normal-fast/high-slow settings, each of which offers significant improvements in playback speed. On our 16″ 32 core M1 Max MacBook Pro (late 2021) with 4K 24p ProRes 4444 we measured real time playback speed in normal quality mode and 18.5 fps in high quality mode, either of which can be considered noteworthy upgrades over the painfully slow 14 fps of the previous update. Memory optimizations in Dehancer Pro version 5.2.0 also dramatically reduced memory pressure when rendering four stacked 4K 24p ProRes 4444 clips in DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.

Hello guys,

We have made significant changes to the Film Grain tool:

• The dependence of the optical resolution on the resolution of the timeline has been fixed. Now with a timeline size less than 4K the image no longer has a blurry look, and the maximum value of Film Resolution = 100 provides full detail of the source footage.
  • The distortion, which could slightly change the scale of the image and cause it to shift by a few pixels, has been fixed.
  • Added Negative / Positive processing mode switch.

Negative:

An improved grain algorithm. The grain is more pronounced in the highlights and the image has a slightly higher microcontrast, which is more typical for negative films.

Positive:

This old algorithm, slightly improved, reproduces a softer grain, which is less pronounced in the highlights and more typical for reversible positive films.

• A new grain type and the corresponding Analogue / Digital mode switch has been added.

Analogue:

The ‘legacy’ type of grain. Requires more processing power.

Digital (Experimental):

Additional (new) type of high performance simplified grain. It can be useful for dithering tasks (for example, to eliminate the posterization of 8-bit videos from drones), as well as for low-resolution projects, rendering for Youtube, etc.

Compatibility of the plugin settings with different Dehancer OFX versions:

Starting from version 5.3, the default setting is Negative mode. To get the grain look as close as possible to older versions of the plugin (4.0 – 5.2), use Positive mode in combination with your existing grain settings.

This is a free update for the license owners.

Download and get 2-week FREE trial:
www.dehancer.com

dehancer530-grain.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 10:11 PM, Matthew W. Phillips said:

Thanks for the tip but I am not a fan of softening my footage beyond lowering the sharpness down in camera.

The smallest details of film cannot be smaller than the grain size, which is why it’s recommended to always lower the resolution parameter accordingly.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Jon Pais said:

The smallest details of film cannot be smaller than the grain size, which is why it’s recommended to always lower the resolution parameter accordingly.

So what you are arguing is that either 1) grain cannot be larger than 1 pixel OR 2) if grain is larger than 1 pixel for, say, full HD, the true resolution of film is less than 1920 x 1080?

9 hours ago, Matthew W. Phillips said:

So what you are arguing is that either 1) grain cannot be larger than 1 pixel OR 2) if grain is larger than 1 pixel for, say, full HD, the true resolution of film is less than 1920 x 1080?

I think you're confusing the sheer number of pixels with perceived sharpness: whatever the resolution of film is as measured in a laboratory, the fact remains that the overwhelming majority of movies are presented in 2K theatrically and no one ever complained that the picture was blurry. That's how I've watched movies my entire life.

I set sharpness at 50 in Dehancer and the picture looks just fine on a 55" OLED display. At home, in order to see the difference between 1080p and 4K, you'd have to be sitting no more than four feet from a 55" UHD display, which few people in real life do. I should add that I upload all my videos in HDR, and the difference in clarity and detail HDR makes is orders of magnitude greater than that between 1080p and 4K. While you've got to sit inches away from a screen to tell the difference between say, 8K and 4K, anyone can instantly see the improvement in picture quality of HDR from across the room. Dynamic range and richness of color are of far more consequence than the number of pixels. 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Jon Pais said:

I think you're confusing the sheer number of pixels with perceived sharpness: whatever the resolution of film is as measured in a laboratory, the fact remains that the overwhelming majority of movies are presented in 2K theatrically and no one ever complained that the picture was blurry. That's how I've watched movies my entire life.

I set sharpness at 50 in Dehancer and the picture looks just fine on a 55" OLED display. At home, in order to see the difference between 1080p and 4K, you'd have to be sitting no more than four feet from a 55" UHD display, which few people in real life do. I should add that I upload all my videos in HDR, and the difference in clarity and detail HDR makes is orders of magnitude greater than that between 1080p and 4K. While you've got to sit inches away from a screen to tell the difference between say, 8K and 4K, anyone can instantly see the improvement in picture quality of HDR from across the room. Dynamic range and richness of color are of far more consequence than the number of pixels. 

Is this argument scientific or anecdotal? Some people swear that they can tell the difference between 4k and 1080p even on relatively small screens. Some audiophiles can also tell the difference (or claim to) between seemingly insignificant details. Are these people crazy or could it be that everyone is different and values different things?

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

While Dehancer is rather an intuitive tool, sometimes the questions we receive from our users aren’t limited to the F.A.Q. section, and need a more in-depth explanation. 

This is why we decided to create a new section on our website where you’ll discover Dehancer from A to Z:

• Installation & Set-Up guides
• Manuals
• System requirements and F.A.Q.
• Technology behind Dehancer tools and how to use them
• DaVinci workflow 
• Photo editing tips & tricks
• Beta testing updates

Visit www.dehancer.com/help to check it out!

dehancermanuals.jpg?w=1024

Hi everyone,

Dehancer Benchmark 5.3.1 is available for download on our website

• Updated core: Dehancer Engine v5.3
• Grain Film Type and Grain Generator options
• Results Export (File → Export to File)
• Command line interface for third-party applications

Download for free: 
https://blog.dehancer.com/dehancer-benchmark/

dehancerbenchmark53.jpg?w=1024

• Like 1

Download a comparison between Dehancer film grain and Resolve film grain here. The file is BT2020 PQ. I don't add grain to YT projects because their aggressive compression algorithms destroy high frequency detail, but I will occasionally be offering them as downloads to my subscribers. It’s well-nigh impossible to see how the plug-in compares to Resolve on something like the MacBook Pro Liquid Retina XDR mini-LED, with its small, low resolution display, which is why I recommend throwing the clip on the timeline of your favorite NLE, setting it up for HDR PQ and viewing on an external UHD monitor or television set. 

Edited by Jon Pais

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

The most anticipated release of the past two years is finally out: meet Dehancer for Final Cut Pro!

It took us a bit longer than we expected, but trust us, it’s so worth it. Let your inner artist experiment with 60+ film profiles, Halation, Bloom, Grain and other analog tools. Create unique film looks and forget the rules.

Download and get 2-week FREE trial: https://www.dehancer.com/store/video/final_cut

dehancer_fcpx-1.jpg?w=1024

• 1 year later...

Join our first Dehancer Colourist Awards!

Dehancer Colourist Awards is an annual competition for colour enthusiasts, created by colour experts. It’s a great opportunity to share your own story about colour and film aesthetics with the world!

You can submit a movie for the following categories:

• Feature Film
• Short Film
• Documentary
• Music Video
• Mobile Video (shot on mobile)

Important dates to remember: submission opens today on September 15, 2023 closing on December 15, 2023.

The winners will get generous cash prizes of 6,000 USD each, lifetime licenses for shortlist nominees and more!

To participate or learn more, please visit: https://awards.dehancer.com
Good luck everyone!

dehancer-colourist-awards-large-1-1.jpg