Eclair ACL English 400'magazines (two).

Gregg MacPherson

Two English 400'magazines. Cosmetically a bit scruffy. Fully disassembled, cleaned and lubed except for feed and take up spindles. New drive sprocket bearings and rubber take up tyres. No plastic pressure plate covers. 

This is the mag that Eclair designed for the ACL I, which had the small Tomson motor. This camera/motor/mag combination is designed to not overload. I shot a lot of film this exact way in the 80s. The mag draws less amps than the french mag. I tested the current draw after the lube and it was on par with a 200' mag 

English 400' mags run fine on any ACL. Some have used them unmodified for S16. They can be S16 modeded just like the French ones.

The English mag take up system has two rubber tyres that wind the film emulsion-in onto the takeup roll. Looks weird but that's how the design keeps the torque low.

Price (pair) USD700, shipping (pair) to USA or Europe, about USD120. 

Pictures below. Message me with an email address if you want more pictures.

SERVICE NOTES.....
I'm not a trained camera tech but I have now serviced three of these English mags for myself. Fully disassembling, cleaning, lubing, and a couple of adjustments. 

- Drive sprockets ball bearing replaced and plain bearing lubed.
- The mag door latches have been adjusted so the door closes perfectly.
- Sound deadening has been reglued in a couple of places.(Ados 4F).
- The take up arm torque I set by feel (memory).
- Pressure plate feels normal (not measured) 
- The "tyres" on the take up arm were replaced with tyres I had made.
- Scratch tested, ok, and take up system ok, tension of the wind good and tracking, alignment good.

Lubricants used....
- Oblique drive shaft gears and bearings...synthetic brake caliper grease.
- Plain bearings that have load...tacky white synthetic grease
- Plain bearings with no load (film rollers)...light synthetic oil.

If you have a regular service plan for your camera then I would get your tech to give them a quick look over then. Some guys may measure the presure plate spring force and take up arm torque.

NOTE: There is nick out of the rubber seal around the pressure plate on M3. Should really be replaced, though I don't remember a problem from it. Cosmetically they show wear and tear, little chips on the black paint, and one or two places where tape adheasive won't fully come off. 

No plastic presure plate covers. These mags never did, and I have no spares. I have made one out of cardboard and tape before (see pic) and a simple metal DIY one is here. M2 and M3 can travel with those.

Any questions please ask.

20220217_154110.jpg.e8bf66ee0f789ac4842c8613f4526445.jpg20220217_154331.jpg.84c5bd239a8bad99035eaa2078e9bf8c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Having trouble re-activating my eBay account so I haven't listed these yet. Can sell these separately now. I have cleaned them a bit more on the outside. I have a mint looking take up door that can go with mag2. Also, Paul at VP found hollow 2mm rubber tube available on eBay very cheap, so if you wanted to replace the light seal on mag3 that's easy.

New price $300/each.

Shipping single mag...

USA...$75

UK, Europe...$67.

Any questions, or for more pics send me a PM.

Gregg.

EDIT: There is a guy on eBay selling 3D printed mag throat covers.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering, where have you seen others using the regular magazines for super-16? I read somewhere that it would scratch the film. I would love to have some extra mags, especially since I broke one of my 200's while trying to get the stupid thing to close haha, but I can't sacrifice the super-16 framing.

2 hours ago, Raymond Zrike said:

I'm wondering, where have you seen others using the regular magazines for super-16?

Before Summer 2020, all my magazines were regular 16mm while my ACL was S16. When I sent my mags to Bernie, he claimed they scratched film and suggested modifying them which I then paid for.

Anyway, I really can't tell any difference. Look up on Youtube "Lutheristi.fi". Those French mags weren't modified back then. See if you can find scratches - I couldn't!

22 hours ago, Raymond Zrike said:

I'm wondering, where have you seen others using the regular magazines for super-16? I read somewhere that it would scratch the film. I would love to have some extra mags, especially since I broke one of my 200's while trying to get the stupid thing to close ...

I haven't personally seen it done. That idea came from Bruce at Arranda so I gave it some credibility. Even so, it seems a better idea to use converted mags. There are still contact surfaces in a converted mag, but at least all that reasonably can be modified is done..Heikki's example is an interesting one...

What did you break on your mag? Can you just get it fixed at DU-ALL..? 

I don't know why it would run more quiet after S16 mod...Any ideas anyone?

Cheers.

• 1 month later...