critical focussing

rob spence

• Premium Member
Hi All,

Does anyone know of any critical focussing systems for the above cameras , I'm sure someone must have developed one in the past,

Many thanks

Rob

Hi,

Normally focusing is achived by looking through the eyepiece and looking at the ground glass, or by using a tape measure.

If you mean follow focus unit there are many available.

Stephen

Hi

I'll expand on the question.

Critical focussing is where you can optically enlarge a smaller segment of the ground glass in order to focus more accurately. In large format stills photography we use a loupe on the ground glass, this magnifies what you can see and thus aids focussing. 35mm cameras ( film ) utilise a split screen, as seen on pentax, nikon etc. , this similarly aids in fine focussing. I know that the cameflex had a system where a loupe could be used on a ground glass positioned in the gate...this aided critical focussing .

My question is whether aaton or both the eclair 16mm cameras ever had a facility to ( temporarily ) magnify the eyepiece ground glass to aid focussing.

Thanks

Rob Spence

• Premium Member
Hi

I'll expand on the question.

Critical focussing is where you can optically enlarge a smaller segment of the ground glass in order to focus more accurately. In large format stills photography we use a loupe on the ground glass, this magnifies what you can see and thus aids focussing.  35mm cameras ( film ) utilise a split screen, as seen on pentax, nikon etc. , this similarly aids in fine focussing. I know that the cameflex had a system where a loupe could be used on a ground glass positioned in the gate...this aided critical focussing .

My question is whether aaton or both the eclair 16mm cameras ever had a facility to ( temporarily ) magnify the eyepiece ground glass to aid focussing.

Thanks

Rob Spence

Hi,

Some cameras do. However if you are using wide angle lenses focusing on the ground glass is not perfect.

If your lenses are collimated and the depth is correctly set then the markings on the lens should be the most accurate way.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi All,

Does anyone know of any critical focussing systems for the above cameras , I'm sure someone must have developed one in the past,

Many thanks

Rob

My friend u can't trust the eypiece sometimes.

You need to adjust your diopter properly and this is done by removing the lens and point to some bright point of your set, then adjust the crosshair to your eye.

But I would recommend a test with lenses wide open.(So you can see if the readings on the lens are accurate).If there isn't any Back focus issue, most are.

Dimitrios Koukas