• 1 month later...
hi

on the specs this cam has an asa rating of 800 asa

what asa rating do you find on your agdv

without filters

with 1/8

with 1/64?

thanks

As far as I know, the asa rating without any gain is 320.

Haven't tested with filters, but 1/8 should be -3 stops and 1/64 -6 stops.

• 4 weeks later...
As far as I know, the asa rating without any gain is 320.

Haven't tested with filters, but 1/8 should be -3 stops and 1/64 -6 stops.

Hi ! I rate the camera at 500 ASA without ND filters, 64 ASA with 1/8th ND. Arrived at this speed using my pentax digital spot meter on a 18% grey card to match the readings with my Minolta autometer III.

Thanks best

• 3 weeks later...

ASA for DVX100

DVX100 guru Barry Green writes a great chapter on this in his "The DVX Book" a great tool for any DVX owner.

There is a lot of technical analysis and he lists the testing conditions - well worth reading. Testing was verified with a sekonic L-508C lightmeter in spotmeter mode, and a waveform monitor to guage camera response.

The general conclusion is that the DVX100 is variable but as a general guide, rate the camera at 640ASA in progressive and 1000ASA in interlaced mode and you will be within 1/2 stop of being accurate (diff between 400ASA and 640ASA is 1/2 stop and from 640ASA to 800ASA is about 1/4 stop).

Available light will cause variations - at f/2.8 progerssive he tested 400ASA in progressive and f/16 800ASA (and 1280ASA interlaced)

so... 640ASA progressive is a pretty safe call for most situations - if possible use DV Rack on a calibrated monitor or laptop to really see what the camera is recording.

Hope this helps.

Phil Brown

Video Production Melbourne

• 4 weeks later...
ASA for DVX100

DVX100 guru Barry Green writes a great chapter on this in his "The DVX Book" a great tool for any DVX owner.

There is a lot of technical analysis and he lists the testing conditions - well worth reading. Testing was verified with a sekonic L-508C lightmeter in spotmeter mode, and a waveform monitor to guage camera response.

The general conclusion is that the DVX100 is variable but as a general guide, rate the camera at 640ASA in progressive and 1000ASA in interlaced mode and you will be within 1/2 stop of being accurate (diff between 400ASA and 640ASA is 1/2 stop and from 640ASA to 800ASA is about 1/4 stop).

Available light will cause variations - at f/2.8 progerssive he tested 400ASA in progressive and f/16 800ASA (and 1280ASA interlaced)

so... 640ASA progressive is a pretty safe call for most situations - if possible use DV Rack on a calibrated monitor or laptop to really see what the camera is recording.

Hope this helps.

Phil Brown

Video Production Melbourne

That Helped me. My friend was rating it at 800, which isn't far off, but I'd rather go with 640.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

I?m shooting at the moment with this camera. I am finding this time it is really sucking up the light. I admit, I never have shot it with the shutter on before but I didn?t think I would need as much light. Does certain scene file options steal more light than others or I am more light conscious now?

G.McMahon

I?m shooting at the moment with this camera. I am finding this time it is really sucking up the light. I admit, I never have shot it with the shutter on before but I didn?t think I would need as much light. Does certain scene file options steal more light than others or I am more light conscious now?

G.McMahon

Yes, some scene files do have settings that reduce response to light F5 & F6 progressive settings particularly.

The DVX100 is not a good choice in low light - I have been frustrated by it many times and seen $600 handycams blow it away - but with light of course, it's magnificent. You can try using video gain settings to improve light tresponse, but remember, you will increase the grain considerably.