Settings on my iMac screen for post prod

Dave Keen

Can someone tell me what type of mode I would be best using on my computer screen for doing post? I'm just learning, the situation is me shooting something, then editing and practicing correction etc on my iMac iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) in my apartment, and posting it on vimeo, youtube etc. That's it. 

Thanks!

DEK

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 11.38.46 AM.png

• 1 month later...

Hi,

so! Those settings aren’t inherently applicable to what you desire… without opening a can of worms -

if your using resolve to grade you can’t use the viewer as a reference. You need to pull an out via the numerous external BMD outputs such as a 3G US Monitor to then a broadcast standard monitor. 

What theoretically you’re doing (and what monitor calibration essentially is). Is taking an input and transforming it (via lut or further) to resolve correctly on your display. 

colofront mapped the input transform and displays for the new line of MacBook Pro’s and more so you can view a 709 or P3 XYZ stream near accurately on a MBP21-22 display. However I’m not sure an equivalent tool exists for a color NLE.

• 1 month later...

I would not get that concerned, as your needs are minimal. You probably already know how Mac monitors are on the high end as far as color accuracy.  Have you already watched clips on Youtube or Vimeo and noticed unacceptable changes? For now, if online is the place you will be posting, do a low-fi test by posting a color chart and gray card, both flat and graded. Look for any problems. 

A "cheap" external monitor set up would be a Blackmagic Intensity shuttle with a BenQ PD2700U attached.

• 2 months later...