new ALCS crystal sync motor for Eclair ACL

Aapo Lettinen

• Premium Member
On 1/23/2024 at 11:38 AM, Aapo Lettinen said:
I am making couple of 2-speed crystal motors for entirely different camera model but the motor drive itself and the mounting parts are the same than on my Eclair ACL motors to save resources, only difference is that the 2-speed motor mounts on the camera right side like on most film cameras whereas the Eclair ACL has motor on the left (aka operator) side of the camera.
Would anyone want to buy a 2-speed motor like this for the ACL, I can make two or three of the motors MIRRORED so that they can be mounted on the camera left side if people want them for ACL but I need to know really soon if they are needed?
The time window is pretty limited, about 2 weeks from now. They need to be ordered and paid for before February10 if wanting one. Otherwise I will just make all the motors in the batch for camera right side use so that they would be painful to use with the ACL for needing to mount them upside down with the controls underside and all the text upside down ?
Price is 850usd a piece + shipping. The motor has integrated electronics (no external box, just everything in one package which is larger than my original ACL motor drive), it has either 24+48fps crystal OR 25+50fps crystal (need to be ordered with either one combination, not possible to change afterwards! I can change it just before shipping so you don't need to decide it yet) and "wild" variable speed. Manual inching knob.
Works with 18 to 20V just like my other ACL motors.
I can have the motors themselves shipping in March but the axle adapters may take some time to manufacture, if they are not ready in March I will send them afterwards in April.

Tested the software and circuit boards of the 2-speed motor now and they work perfectly.

One update: the motor can be switched between 24/48fps and 25/50fps modes by the user by installing or removing a jumper inside. Just open the front panel by removing 4 screws, jumper on or off, front panel back on.

So no need to send it back to me for this kind of fps base change, I decided to add the jumper method so that it is easier for me to finish them and it adds security to the end user that they can make this change by themself if in some rare cases need to do it ?

COUPLE OF DAYS LEFT TO LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS 2-SPEED CRYSTAL MOTOR MODEL FOR THE ACL. Making a special version for ACL requires making different casings with mirrored controls and mirrored front panels, so I will only make them available if they are really needed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 2/7/2024 at 2:50 PM, Aapo Lettinen said:

Tested the software and circuit boards of the 2-speed motor now and they work perfectly.

One update: the motor can be switched between 24/48fps and 25/50fps modes by the user by installing or removing a jumper inside. Just open the front panel by removing 4 screws, jumper on or off, front panel back on.

So no need to send it back to me for this kind of fps base change, I decided to add the jumper method so that it is easier for me to finish them and it adds security to the end user that they can make this change by themself if in some rare cases need to do it ?

COUPLE OF DAYS LEFT TO LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS 2-SPEED CRYSTAL MOTOR MODEL FOR THE ACL. Making a special version for ACL requires making different casings with mirrored controls and mirrored front panels, so I will only make them available if they are really needed.

I have still possibility to make the ACL version of the 2-speed motor. The deadline for orders is 15th March and delivery likely in May. I will need at least one order to move the ACL version forward, it is exactly similar than the normal 2speed motor but just everything mirrored to fit the different side of the camera, so I will just make the extral casing and front panel different and mount the circuit board differently, otherwise it is the same. That is why I did not make separate prototype of the ACL version because, well, it is the same motor, just buttons in different order https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXR6ep1cC1o

• Premium Member
On 3/5/2024 at 11:31 AM, Aapo Lettinen said:

I have still possibility to make the ACL version of the 2-speed motor. The deadline for orders is 15th March and delivery likely in May. I will need at least one order to move the ACL version forward, it is exactly similar than the normal 2speed motor but just everything mirrored to fit the different side of the camera, so I will just make the extral casing and front panel different and mount the circuit board differently, otherwise it is the same. That is why I did not make separate prototype of the ACL version because, well, it is the same motor, just buttons in different order https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXR6ep1cC1o

The 2-speed motor for ACL would look approximately like this (MIRRORED PHOTO FOR DEMONSTRATION. WILL MAKE THE FINAL FRONT PANEL WITH PROPER TEXT IF THERE IS ORDERS FOR THIS MODEL). this example has the experimental 2-digit display with additional base speeds and possibly a simple footage counter added. The basic version is of course with normal 24/48 and 25/50fps crystal speeds options

20240307_235158.jpg

20240307_235147.jpg

• Premium Member

The 2-speed motor will have a simple 3d printed protector for the inching knob which allows inching the camera easily but protects the knob from catching anything when the motor is running. the protector is just attached to the motor with 2-sided tape or glue and seems to hold pretty well even if printed out of simple PLA. I am intending on having the files available for users if there is a need to print a replacement part sometime later 🙂

20240308_151830.jpg

20240308_151856.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Anyone interested in the 2-speed model (830usd + shipping) or the 2-speed model with additional display and more crystal speeds (likely 9 crystal speeds and the variable speed. And some kind of simple footage counter) for 1100usd+shipping?

It looks like this is the last motor model I'll be making for the Eclair ACL as it is pretty optimized price-performance ratio and possible to make in smaller batches because almost all the parts are the same than on my 2-speed Universal Crystal Motor, only the front panel is different and I need to make the extra axle connectors and mounting parts (which are basically included for free as the price is the same than the Universal Motor without these extra ACL specific parts)

I have possibility to assemble couple of these in Summer if anyone needs them but would want to know ASAP if they are needed because I am already scheduling projects for the whole Summer and it can cause the motors being delayed for a month or two if the orders are last minute. So I advice ordering during April if you are interested in this motor, or at least let me know soon so that I have some kind of idea how many motors could be maybe needed 🙂