new ALCS crystal sync motor for Eclair ACL

Aapo Lettinen

• Premium Member
On 1/23/2024 at 11:38 AM, Aapo Lettinen said:
I am making couple of 2-speed crystal motors for entirely different camera model but the motor drive itself and the mounting parts are the same than on my Eclair ACL motors to save resources, only difference is that the 2-speed motor mounts on the camera right side like on most film cameras whereas the Eclair ACL has motor on the left (aka operator) side of the camera.
Would anyone want to buy a 2-speed motor like this for the ACL, I can make two or three of the motors MIRRORED so that they can be mounted on the camera left side if people want them for ACL but I need to know really soon if they are needed?
The time window is pretty limited, about 2 weeks from now. They need to be ordered and paid for before February10 if wanting one. Otherwise I will just make all the motors in the batch for camera right side use so that they would be painful to use with the ACL for needing to mount them upside down with the controls underside and all the text upside down ?
Price is 850usd a piece + shipping. The motor has integrated electronics (no external box, just everything in one package which is larger than my original ACL motor drive), it has either 24+48fps crystal OR 25+50fps crystal (need to be ordered with either one combination, not possible to change afterwards! I can change it just before shipping so you don't need to decide it yet) and "wild" variable speed. Manual inching knob.
Works with 18 to 20V just like my other ACL motors.
I can have the motors themselves shipping in March but the axle adapters may take some time to manufacture, if they are not ready in March I will send them afterwards in April.

Tested the software and circuit boards of the 2-speed motor now and they work perfectly.

One update: the motor can be switched between 24/48fps and 25/50fps modes by the user by installing or removing a jumper inside. Just open the front panel by removing 4 screws, jumper on or off, front panel back on.

So no need to send it back to me for this kind of fps base change, I decided to add the jumper method so that it is easier for me to finish them and it adds security to the end user that they can make this change by themself if in some rare cases need to do it ?

COUPLE OF DAYS LEFT TO LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS 2-SPEED CRYSTAL MOTOR MODEL FOR THE ACL. Making a special version for ACL requires making different casings with mirrored controls and mirrored front panels, so I will only make them available if they are really needed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 2/7/2024 at 2:50 PM, Aapo Lettinen said:

Tested the software and circuit boards of the 2-speed motor now and they work perfectly.

One update: the motor can be switched between 24/48fps and 25/50fps modes by the user by installing or removing a jumper inside. Just open the front panel by removing 4 screws, jumper on or off, front panel back on.

So no need to send it back to me for this kind of fps base change, I decided to add the jumper method so that it is easier for me to finish them and it adds security to the end user that they can make this change by themself if in some rare cases need to do it ?

COUPLE OF DAYS LEFT TO LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS 2-SPEED CRYSTAL MOTOR MODEL FOR THE ACL. Making a special version for ACL requires making different casings with mirrored controls and mirrored front panels, so I will only make them available if they are really needed.

I have still possibility to make the ACL version of the 2-speed motor. The deadline for orders is 15th March and delivery likely in May. I will need at least one order to move the ACL version forward, it is exactly similar than the normal 2speed motor but just everything mirrored to fit the different side of the camera, so I will just make the extral casing and front panel different and mount the circuit board differently, otherwise it is the same. That is why I did not make separate prototype of the ACL version because, well, it is the same motor, just buttons in different order https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXR6ep1cC1o

• Premium Member
On 3/5/2024 at 11:31 AM, Aapo Lettinen said:

I have still possibility to make the ACL version of the 2-speed motor. The deadline for orders is 15th March and delivery likely in May. I will need at least one order to move the ACL version forward, it is exactly similar than the normal 2speed motor but just everything mirrored to fit the different side of the camera, so I will just make the extral casing and front panel different and mount the circuit board differently, otherwise it is the same. That is why I did not make separate prototype of the ACL version because, well, it is the same motor, just buttons in different order https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXR6ep1cC1o

The 2-speed motor for ACL would look approximately like this (MIRRORED PHOTO FOR DEMONSTRATION. WILL MAKE THE FINAL FRONT PANEL WITH PROPER TEXT IF THERE IS ORDERS FOR THIS MODEL). this example has the experimental 2-digit display with additional base speeds and possibly a simple footage counter added. The basic version is of course with normal 24/48 and 25/50fps crystal speeds options

20240307_235158.jpg

20240307_235147.jpg

• Premium Member

The 2-speed motor will have a simple 3d printed protector for the inching knob which allows inching the camera easily but protects the knob from catching anything when the motor is running. the protector is just attached to the motor with 2-sided tape or glue and seems to hold pretty well even if printed out of simple PLA. I am intending on having the files available for users if there is a need to print a replacement part sometime later 🙂

20240308_151830.jpg

20240308_151856.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Anyone interested in the 2-speed model (830usd + shipping) or the 2-speed model with additional display and more crystal speeds (likely 9 crystal speeds and the variable speed. And some kind of simple footage counter) for 1100usd+shipping?

It looks like this is the last motor model I'll be making for the Eclair ACL as it is pretty optimized price-performance ratio and possible to make in smaller batches because almost all the parts are the same than on my 2-speed Universal Crystal Motor, only the front panel is different and I need to make the extra axle connectors and mounting parts (which are basically included for free as the price is the same than the Universal Motor without these extra ACL specific parts)

I have possibility to assemble couple of these in Summer if anyone needs them but would want to know ASAP if they are needed because I am already scheduling projects for the whole Summer and it can cause the motors being delayed for a month or two if the orders are last minute. So I advice ordering during April if you are interested in this motor, or at least let me know soon so that I have some kind of idea how many motors could be maybe needed 🙂

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 4:23 PM, Aapo Lettinen said:

Anyone interested in the 2-speed model (830usd + shipping) or the 2-speed model with additional display and more crystal speeds (likely 9 crystal speeds and the variable speed. And some kind of simple footage counter) for 1100usd+shipping?

It looks like this is the last motor model I'll be making for the Eclair ACL as it is pretty optimized price-performance ratio and possible to make in smaller batches because almost all the parts are the same than on my 2-speed Universal Crystal Motor, only the front panel is different and I need to make the extra axle connectors and mounting parts (which are basically included for free as the price is the same than the Universal Motor without these extra ACL specific parts)

I have possibility to assemble couple of these in Summer if anyone needs them but would want to know ASAP if they are needed because I am already scheduling projects for the whole Summer and it can cause the motors being delayed for a month or two if the orders are last minute. So I advice ordering during April if you are interested in this motor, or at least let me know soon so that I have some kind of idea how many motors could be maybe needed 🙂

20240307_235158.jpg

(mirrored image to reference how the ACL version of the motor approximately looks like with the extra display)

One of the advanced versions with the footage counter display and extra crystal speeds was ordered and I will assemble it in Summer. Would anyone else like to order one from the same batch? You would get the motor faster if ordering from the same batch. Payment would need to be done in June if wanting it from this batch. Shipping in August.

The advanced version is 1100usd + shipping (shipping typically about 70usd).

Edited by Aapo Lettinen

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 5/23/2024 at 12:55 PM, Aapo Lettinen said:

20240307_235158.jpg

(mirrored image to reference how the ACL version of the motor approximately looks like with the extra display)

One of the advanced versions with the footage counter display and extra crystal speeds was ordered and I will assemble it in Summer. Would anyone else like to order one from the same batch? You would get the motor faster if ordering from the same batch. Payment would need to be done in June if wanting it from this batch. Shipping in August.

The advanced version is 1100usd + shipping (shipping typically about 70usd).

One advanced and one 2-speed version were ordered, I am making them in early August and designing the improved mounting system at the moment.

There is still possibility to order a ACL motor from this batch, let me know ASAP if needing one.

I would love to get at least one extra order to get the assembling stage as efficient as possible, I normally make motors in batches of 4 and will keep one by myself so one extra order would be perfect 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/24/2024 at 4:23 PM, Aapo Lettinen said:

I am intending on ordering custom axle adapters which are shrink fitted to the motor axles at the local machine shop. this is much higher quality approach than my original ACL motor's axles but it means that I will probably only make a single batch of these 2-speed and 9-speed motors as I need to get all axles treated at the same time to get a good deal on the work.

Will try to include extra ones if possible but I strongly advice ordering these motors from this exact batch if wanting one because I may not be able to make another batch after this. and if missing out you would need to wait 1.5 years for the triple priced "final ACL motor" model.

it is possible to pay these motors in parts if needed, you would just need to add shipping costs then

• Premium Member
On 7/1/2024 at 1:22 PM, Aapo Lettinen said:

I am intending on ordering custom axle adapters which are shrink fitted to the motor axles at the local machine shop. this is much higher quality approach than my original ACL motor's axles but it means that I will probably only make a single batch of these 2-speed and 9-speed motors as I need to get all axles treated at the same time to get a good deal on the work.

Will try to include extra ones if possible but I strongly advice ordering these motors from this exact batch if wanting one because I may not be able to make another batch after this. and if missing out you would need to wait 1.5 years for the triple priced "final ACL motor" model.

it is possible to pay these motors in parts if needed, you would just need to add shipping costs then

Final call for orders for the August2024 batch of ACL motors!

I will start to order CNC machined parts soon and will need to know the exact amount of motors I will assemble, thus there is a deadline for orders. For 2-speed motors the deadline is very strict as I will only assemble the exact amount ordered and no extra ones. With 9-speed motors I might have chance to assemble one or two extra ones for later sale but that is not guaranteed as I have tons of other projects at the same time.

After this single batch of these motors is made, I will concentrate on the "final ACL motor model" which costs about 1900usd+shipping and these lower priced models are not available anymore then. This is likely the last chance to get an affordable ACL motor if the "final model" is too pricey and advanced for the intended use.

If you are interested in purchasing the 2-speed or 9-speed ACL motor, please contact me ASAP and place the order before July 22. It needs to be paid by then too, either the first part if paying in 2 parts or the full amount if paying it all at once to get free shipping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Today is the deadline for final orders of 2-speed ACL crystal sync motors. This motor type has internally switchable 24/48 and 25/50fps crystal sync and wild variable speed which goes up to over 70fps if needed. Works with 18 volts, can be used with for example a power tool battery or one can use higher voltage battery and step down converter to power it. The motor is powerful enough to run the ACL reliably with full 400ft loads. Pictured is the empty housing to show the size of the motor compared to the ACL with 400ft mag.
I will need to order the rest of the CNC machined parts for these soon and this is the only batch of these made, after which I will concentrate on much more expensive designs. So the final chance of getting a affordable ACL motor if needing one. The 2-speed model is 830usd, can be paid in 2 parts if needed, or if paid all at once one would get free shipping.
I also have a 9-speed (18 crystal speeds total) version of this motor which is 1100usd. There is still some 2 weeks left to order those ones. The ordering for the 2-speed model closes today. Both motor types will be delivered in late August / early September 2024.

20240529_014555.jpg